Chapter 16

Sam and Dean said they wouldn't send me back to the babysitter, but they did, and they left me without saying goodbye. Now they're coming back to get me, I'm mad at them... I woke up and they were gone, no goodbye hugs, no goodbye kisses, no goodbye at all!
Once I saw the impala pull up, I sat on the stairs, and waited for them to get out. Dean and Sam got out, walking towards me,
Dean said" Hey, Baby girl, how's it been?" I ignored him, I saw them look at me.
The baby sitter said" She's pissed at you two boys, ya know. You left her without a goodbye, she's been crying about for the weeks she's been here."
" We didn't mean to, we... we just knew that if we said goodbye, we weren't gonna leave her. She'd look at us with those eyes, and then we'd never leave her here."
" Well, I know you mean well. But she doesn't understand why you're always leaving her and going on hunts. And this is from her words, De's always with Sammy, now he doesn't want to be with me. You two fools broke her little heart." Dean turned around and crouched down to my level,
" Hey, what's up with that, baby girl? You know we love you so much."
I said" Leave me alone." I got up and walked away from them and waited by the impala. Sam walked up to me as I heard the door to the house close,
Sam said" Hey, short stack, you know Dean and I love you, so much, and we're always gonna love you. We know we leave you a lot but it's for your good, we want you to have an education. We want you to have a choice."
" I choice being with my brothers! My De and my Sammy!"
" Oh, baby girl." He lifted me up and hugged me," We want you to be with us but it's so dangerous. You could get hurt... or worse. Dean and I wouldn't know what to do if you got hurt."
" But I've been hurt, and you have! And De! And we're all okay!"
" It's not as simple as that, Hazel."
" Then what is?!"
" I don't know." He kissed my head and lifted me up," Dean's coming out in a minute then we're hitting the road, okay?"
" Okay, Sammy." He laid his chin on my head as we waited for Dean to come out.
Once Dean came out, Dean took me into his arms and sat me on the top of the impala. He said" Don't you ever think that I don't love you, Baby girl, you're my little sister. I love you more than any other girl in this entire world, Hazel. If Sammy wasn't here right now, I'd say you were my favorite sibling, which you are, okay?"
I said" Okay, De." He hugged me and kissed my head," I missed you."
" I missed you too, baby girl."
———
We were at a diner, Dean was looking through the newspaper, and Sam was on his laptop.
Dean said" Alright, Dude, not a decent lead in all of Nebraska. What do you got?"
Sam said" Well, I've been scanning Wyoming, Colorado , South Dakota. Here, a woman in Iowa fell 10,000 feet from an airplane and survived."
" Sounds like more that's Incredible than The Twilight Zone."
" Yeah."
" Hey, you know, we could just keep heading East, New York, upstate. Could stop by and see Sarah again. Huh? She's a cool chick, man. Smokin'. You two seemed pretty friendly. What do you say?"
" Yeah, I don't know. Maybe someday. But in the meantime, we got a lot of work to do, Dean, and you know that."
" Yeah, you're right. What else you got?" I zoned out and colored in my coloring book, making everything look perfect.
——
We got to a house, Dean saw the last name Elkins in Daddy's Journal and we went to investigate.
Dean said" Looks like the maid didn't come today."
Sam said" Hey, there's salt over here, right inside the door."
" You mean, like, protection against demon salt or oops, I spilled the popcorn, salt?"
" It's clearly a ring. You think this guy Elkins was a player?"
" Definitely." We were looking at Elkin's journal,
" That looks a hell of a lot like dad's."
" Except this dates back to the '60s." We walked into another room and looked up, the windows were busted in,
Sam said" Whatever attacked him, looks like there was more than one."
Dean said" Looks like he put up a hell of a fight, too."
" Yeah." We walked around and started looking for anything that could help us. Dean crouched down at something in the floor," Got something?"
" I don't know. Some scratches in the floor."
" Death throes maybe?"
" Maybe." He grabbed a piece of paper and a pencil then scribbled over it, and then lifted the paper," Or maybe a message. Look familiar?"
" Three letters, six digits. The location and combination of a post office box. It's a mail drop."
" That's just the way dad does it." We left the house, and headed to the post office. Dean put me into the backseat and pulled my blanket over me and kissed my head before getting into the drivers. I heard the rumble of the impala and fell asleep instantly.