Chapter 7

Sam was at a phone, once he began walking back, Dean said" Your half caff venti vanilla latte is getting cold over here, Francis."
Sam said" Shut up."
" So, anything?"
" I had them check the FBI's missing persons database. No John Does fitting that description. I even ran his plates for traffic violations."
" Sam, I'm telling you, I don't think dad wants to be found. Check this out. News Item out of Plains Courier, Ankeny, Iowa. It's only about 100 miles from here."
" Mutilated body was found near the victim's car parked on 9 mile road."
" Keep reading."
" Authorities are unable to provide a realistic description of the killer. The sole eyewitness, whose name has been withheld, is quoted as saying the attacker was invisible."
" Could be something interesting."
" It could be nothing. One freaked out witness who didn't see anything doesn't mean it's the invisible man."
" But what if it is? Dad would check it out."

We were driving down the road,
I said" There's an invisible man?!" Looking at Sam and Dean, Dean chuckled then looked at Sam.
Sam said" No, no, Haz, that's not... no... No there is no invisible man."
Dean said" Not one that would kill us, at least."
" Dean, shut up."
I said" Well, is there or not?"
" No, Hazel."
" Okay."

Sam and Dean were going to a frat house, I looked at Sam, he looked at me.
Dean said" Stay in the car, Haz, and I mean it."
I said" I will."
Once they came out, we were headed to a church, and I was made to stay in the car again. I yawned and closed my eyes, I fell asleep.

We were walking into a library, I guess, I'm sleepy, Sam was carrying me.
Dean said" So, you believe her?"
Sam said" I do."
" I think she's hot, too."
" No, man, there's something in her eyes. And listen to this. She heard scratching on the roof and found the bloody body suspended upside down over the car."
" Bloody body suspended? That sounds like..."
" Yeah, I know. The Hookman legend."
" That's one of the most famous urban legends. You don't think that we're dealing with the Hookman."
" Every Urban Legend has a source, a place where it all began."
" What about the scratches and the tire punctures and the invisible killer?"
" Maybe the hookman isn't a man at all. What if it's some kind of spirit?"

They got a box,
A woman said" Here you go, arrest records going back go 1851." She added another box,
Dean said" Thanks." She walked away, Sam wiped off a box," This is how you spent four good years of your life, huh?"
Sam said" Welcome to higher education."

We were looking through file after file after file, and I was bored, really bored.
Sam said" Hey, check this out. 1862, A preacher named Jacob Karns was arrested for murder. He was so angry over the red light district in town that one night he killed 13 prostitutes. Some of the deceased were found in their beds, sheets soaked with blood, others suspended upside down from the limbs of trees as a warning against sins of the flesh."
Dean said" Get this, The murder weapon? Looks like the preacher lost his hand in an accident, had it replaced with a silver hook."
" Look where all this happened."
" 9 mile road."
" Same place where the frat boy was killed."
" Nice job, Dr. Venkman. Let's check it out." I giggled, Dean rubbed my head before lifting me up and carrying me out.

Once we got to the road, Sam put me into the floor of the seat and covered me with a blanket. He said" Stay here, we'll be back soon, go to sleep." He rubbed my head then closed the door, I fell asleep quickly.

I woke up and they weren't here but we were parked somewhere different, I yawned then rubbed my eyes.
Once they came back, I got out, and sat with them,
Sam said" It's the same symbol. Seems like it is the spirit of Jacob Karns."
Dean said" Alright, let's find this dude's grave, salt and burn the bones, and put him down."
" After execution, Jacob Karns was laid to rest in Old North Cemetery in an Unmarked grave."
" Super." We got up and got into the car,
" Okay, so, we know it's Jacob Karns, but we still don't know where he'll manifest next. Or why."
" I'll take a wild guess about why. I think your friend Lori has something to do with this."

They went to some party, I don't know, then Dean came out, and we left, going to a cemetery.
Dean said" Stay close, Hazel. Don't go wandering off."
I said" I won't." He nodded then handed me a flashlight, I turned it on and we started looking at graves.
We heard a rustle, Dean nodded, and I continued to move till we found one with the marking Sam showed me. We went down a hill and looked at it,
Dean said" Here we go." Dean started digging while I looked around to make sure no one was here.
After a little while, Dean said" That's it. Next time, I get to watch the cute girl's house." He broke into the casket," Hello, Preacher."
I said" Can I throw the match?"
" No. Sam would kill him, but you can salt it." He got out the salt and I poured the salt onto the bones then he poured the lighter fluid, then he lit the match," Stand back." I stood away from the hole," Goodbye, Preacher." He threw in the match, and we watched the bones catch fire instantly.

We had to go to the hospital, Sam was with Lori and the Hookman showed up.
Once they came out, I said" Back to Library?" They both nodded, I nodded.

We were looking through books and files, trying to find something on where the hook was.
Dean said" Here's something, I think. Logbook, Iowa State Penitentiary. Karns, Jacob, Personal affects, disposition thereof."
Sam said" Does it mention the hook?"
" Upon execution, all earthly items shall be remanded to the Prisoner's house of worship, St. Barnabas Church."
" Isn't that where Lori's father preaches?"
" Yeah."
" Where Lori lives?"
" Maybe that's why the Hookman's been haunting Reverends and Reverends' daughters for the past 200 years."
" Yeah, but if the Hook were at the church or Lori's house, don't you think someone might've seen it? I mean, a blood stained, silver handled hook?"
" Check the church records."

Sam said" St. Barnabas donations, 1862. Received Silver handled hook from State Penitentiary. Reforged. They melted it down, made it into something else." Dean closed the book he was looking through, I looked at them.

Once we got to the church,
Dean said" Alright. We can't take any chances. Anything silver goes in the fire."
Sam said" I agree. Lori's still in the hospital, we'll have to break in."
" Alright, take your pick."
" I'll take the house."
" Okay. Hey. Stay out of her underwear drawer." Then we walked towards the church.
We salted the fire then started throwing things in, Sam came in,
He said" I got everything that even looked silver."
Dean said" Better safe than sorry." Then we heard creaks upstairs, we looked up," Move, move." We went upstairs and it was a girl, I guess it was Lori. Dean and I went back downstairs.
There was a lot crashes upstairs, Dean looked at me then we threw things in faster. Dean and I ran upstairs,
Dean said" Sam, Drop!" Sam dropped and Dean shot the ghost with the rock salt, it disappeared.
Sam said" I thought we got all the silver."
" So did I."
" Then why is he still here?"
" Maybe we missed something."
" Lori, where did you get that chain?"
Lori said" My father gave it to me."
Dean said" Where'd your dad get it?"
" He said it was a church heirloom. He gave it to me."
Sam said" Is it silver?"
" Yes." Sam took it from her neck, then the wall started having a long scratch coming towards. Dean threw the gun at sam and then Sam threw the necklace at Dean. Dean and I ran downstairs and burned the necklace, we watched it melt.
We went back up and Sam and Lori were alive.

Dean made me hide in the car so the police wouldn't see me. Dean got into the car and looked back at Sam, who was talking to Lori.
Once Sam got into the car,
Dean said" We could stay." Sam shook his head, then we drove off.