Chapter 37: Death

Chiisana's eyes shot wide. "So all this time…" She thought. Akeno let a long breath go,his head landing on her shoulder. "No… Akeno ! Stay there !" She yelled,then checked his pulse. Her eyes welled up when she felt nothing. "Come on ! If you love me,don't die !" She yelled. "We're already here !" She said,sprinting to the infirmary. Stein was there,luckily. Kid placed Ameno on the other bed. "What happened to them ?" Stein asked. "Kishin attack…" Kid answered. Stein twisted the screw in his head. "They're in danger… Please go outside. I'll try to handle this." Stein said. "Please,don't let them die !" Chiisana cried. Kid sighed,leading her outside.

She started sobbing,fisting the wall. "This is my fault… I was never there when they needed me the most !" She cried. Kid sighed,then hugged her. He rubbed her back,trying his best to comfort her. "It isn't your fault." He sighed. "You always do your best to protect them… Bad luck just got it's way to them…" He patted your back. Chiisana cried a lot,staining his clothes with her tears. It took her almost 20 minutes to calm down.

"You okay now ?" He asked. Chiisana sniffled,then slightly smiled. "Better… Thanks Kid…" She sighed. "Sorry if I stained your clothes…" She looked down. Kid just smiled. "It's fine. I can understand." He smiled.

Stein got out of the room,a look of sadness in his face. Kid met his eyes,already figuring out what happened. "Are they okay ?" Chiisana stood up,looking at him. Stein twisted the screw in his head,shoving his other hand in his pocket with a sigh. "I'm afraid… Not." He looked at her. Chiisana froze,a felt of shock going through her whole body. "W-what do you mean…" She mumbled.

"Ameno lost too much blood. He didn't even made it alive in here… While Akeno,on the other hand…" He sighed. "Died during the operation. His body was beaten up severely… And it didn't kept up while I was stitching his wound… In short,they both died…" He broke the bad news. Chiisana,looked down,tears continuing to roll down from her eyes again. "Y-you're lying… That's a lie !" She stormed out of the hallway,going inside the room. "Chiisana—" "Let her. I know it's hard to lose partners." Stein stopped Kid from following her. "Just let her be alone with them." Stein said. Kid just sighed then nodded.

Chiisana cried as she looked at them both. The used-to-be lively and cool looks of the two are gone,both lifeless and pale. Kid slowly followed behind her with a frown. Chiisana fell on her knees,looking down and trembling.

"N-no…"