Chapter 5

*** Victoria's POV ***

"You look beautiful."

"Thanks mom." I smiled standing up feeling the one loose big braid she did on me.

I sat on her bed again facing her.

"I wish I had a flower for you." She said putting the box back in the drawer.

"It's okay, mom." I smiled lightly. "I have to go to work now."

"Okay. You look beautiful." She repeated in a whisper looking back at the window.

"I love you."

I kissed her forehead before walking toward the door.

Well it went better than I thought.

It went way better than the last. Even though she doesn't remember a lot, sometimes she just acts the way she used to.

But I loved it when she was like this, even if she doesn't really remember me.

I always wondered what has made her like this. When did it start? Or has she always been like this and it just wasn't obvious.

I just remember that I was thirteen the first time she lost control.

Maybe if my father was here, it would have been different.
This is why I couldn't afford not to have a good job. I couldn't accept not having the highest grade at the exam three years ago.

I wanted her to be proud of me. And she doesn't even know.
But thinking that she would have been is satisfying for me.

****

"I was about to call you." Was the first thing I heard when I walked into Jason's office.

"Well hello to you too. And you don't have to worry like that every time I go see my mother." I said looking at him as he stared at me disapprovingly.

"You should have called me anyways, when you left the hospital." He leaned back in his chair.
"Victoria last time she-"

I stopped him. "What happened last time I went there was a one time thing, she wasn't feeling like herself."

He sighed and just let it go, which I'm glad. "How is she?"

I smiled lightly. "She's good. Always the same."

"You looking like the demon?" He asked teasingly making me narrow my eyes at him.

He was never going to let that go.

"It's just her illness."

"I know." He shrugged. "I always knew there was something demonic about you."

I playfully glared at him. "You are the demonic one."

He scoffed.

"I'm serious." I smiled taking a seat. "But she was calm today. She talked and did my hair."

He smiled lightly. "I can see that. You look beautiful."

He needs to stop doing that.

Seriously.

I cleared my throat lightly moving a little in my seat. "Thank you. How is Cindy's working?" I asked wanting to change the subject.

"She's okay." He mumbled. "For now." He added. I just shook my head at him. He had to add the last part.
"She's annoying me anyways."

"What did she do?"

"Nothing yet." He replied and I let out a small laugh. "She my PA. I don't have to like her."

"You're annoying. I'm going to murder you because of your rudeness." I sighed standing. "Or just kill myself."

"Never. I wouldn't survive. You made me dependent on you."

I smiled walking to the door. "I didn't do anything, weirdo."

He laughed lightly. "There are things for you on Cindy's desk."

I nodded and walked out of his office and closed the door slowly behind me.

This man can never keep an assistant because he doesn't want to trust anyone.
And I'm the one suffering because I'm the one always looking for new assistants.

"Hi, ms. Mendes." Cindy as I approached her desk to grab my papers.

"Hi."

"You are the business manager of the company right?" She asked looking up at me.

"Yes."

"Wow. So you have access to a lot in the company?"

"It's kind of normal. It's my job." I said wanting this conversation to be over.

"I heard you were Mr. Knight's student. And some women said that's why you got here so easily." She said and I looked at her blankly. "No offense. I'm just asking."

I heard about that too. About how I slept with Jason to get where I am. Well the female workers said.

Maybe because my position was higher than all the other women on this building. But what can I do about it?

I lost my father and my mom is in a mental institute. I never even had time to date or even think about boys.
My only goal was to finish studying and find a good job.

And I wished I didn't have feelings for him. I wish I wasn't in love with him. I wish I could just focus on what brought me here.

Wha they said was all lies, of course. Not even a kiss was shared between us.

Well they can talk all they want. I never denied any of those rumors or tried to defend myself because I have my own things to worry about.

More important things.

"I don't care what you heard. I have better things to go than worry about gossips. Like it or not, I am where I am, and talk is all they can do." I replied lowly..

"But you and the boss seem so close." Cindy said.

"We don't just seem close. We are close."

"Yeah I noticed." She said. "So You guys are just friends. Nothing serious right?"

I looked at the woman in front of me furrowing my eyebrows lightly.

I raised an eyebrow at her. "Is it any of your business?"

Was she trying to make a move on Jason? Or just likes to mind other people's business?

"Do you think I'm his type?" She asked.

I looked at her boringly. "I don't think so."

She looked taken aback.

What? Did she think I was going to sugar coat it for her?

I hope she won't ask me for advices, because I'll ruin all her chances.

Don't judge. It's not like you will help another woman get the man you're in love with.

"Do you think, maybe, if I ask him ou-"

I cut her off. "That's the fastest way to get yourself fired. He changes assistants a lot because the smallest things annoy him. So just do your job." I said looking at her seriously.
"Get back to work. There's no time for chit chats."

I turned on my heels and went back to my office without another word.

I know I may sound like a bitch, but I hated having those chit chats, especially not with her. She started working her, not even a couple of days ago.