Chapter 48

"I'm having lunch with your mother." I said opening Jason's office door and just showing my head.

"Okay. What time?" he answered looking at me with furrowed eyes. "Get in and close the door. What are you doing peeping like a thief?"

"I'm leaving in thirty minutes." I rolled my eyes before going in.

"Thirty minutes is not now. Come here."

"I'm going to move my mother into my place." I said walking closer. "The doctors said her conditions improved these past few weeks, but a nurse will be with her at all time." I sat on his desk before crossing my legs.

"It's weird how she got better after leaving that place." He said as his hand went to my calf.

"Yes. I thought the same. Maybe it was the fact that she was too lonely there maybe. Or changing environment was good for her."

I'm just glad she's going to come home with me.

"Why am I not invited to your lunch date?"

"I'm not going to steal your mother. Don't worry." I smiled.

"How do I know that?"

"Calm down, mama's boy. She's all yours." I said and pinched my hand before pushing it away when it started moving up my leg. "Behave."

"I don't want to." He said moving his hand back on my calf.

"Okay." I said quickly getting off the desk. "I'm really going to go now before y-" I gasped loudly and let out a laugh when he pulled me on him.

"Jason, stop!"

"No." He leaned in and I leaned back.

"I said no."

"When have I ever listened to you?" He raised his eyebrows at me and I narrowed my eyes at him. "Where's your ring?"

"Home. I told you I wouldn't wear until we're done with Kevin." I shrugged. "He's not that stupid."

"He actually is." He said and I shook my head smiling.

"You really don't respect him."

"Nope." He said resting his head against my chest before closing his eyes.

I ran my hand through his hair and he let out a sight. "You're not gonna fall asleep here, are you?"

"If you didn't have to leave, I would have." He replied not opening his eyes.

"Well you have twenty-five minutes." I said wrapping my other arm around him.

****

"How is your mother?" Stella asked after we finished ordering our food. "I plan on going to see her tomorrow."

"She is doing much better." I smiled. "She'll actually start living with me, probably next week."

"That's great. I'm sure being home would do more good than that stupid institute."

I chuckled. "I'm sure."

I don't know how many times I had to tell that it what happened to mother wasn't her fault. She was feeling guilty when it happened and I had to keep reminding her that she couldn't have known. It's like she was even allowed to sleep at the institute, so there was really nothing she could have done.

****

Once we were done eating, she looked up at me as we were waiting for the waiting to bring the check.

"They still don't know what made her panic that day."

I was taken aback by that. I didn't want to lie to her. But I also didn't know how to tell her without throwing the others under the bus.