61. BUCKY: Bonnie & Clyde

A/N: This is a part two to chapter 57, The Butcher, but could totally be read on it's own too. This was requested by BuckysGirl42 !

ALSO how cute is the gif?! Happy Bucky is my aesthetic.

Words: 2.3K

They call them Bonnie and Clyde; the Avengers' two dirtiest, most dangerous duo. Their questionable pasts and infamous kill-skills amount to the most feared reputations out of the whole world-saving team. There's not a place in the world that one will go without the other. They speak without words—only needing momentarily glances and head nods to relay a thousand words. When they fight it's side by side. When they walk into battle it's shoulder to shoulder.

They call them The Butcher and The Winter Soldier.

"Cover my six."

Bucky scoffs. He doesn't dare to glance back at the woman he shields—keeping his firearm pointed up at the empty doorway.

"What're you letting hot air out for?" The Butcher, Y/N, snaps. She's dropped down on her knees to pick the lock of the billionaire's office safe.

"Because we both know that I'd get into that safe twice as fast as you could," Bucky replies. He jerks his head to push some long hair out of his eyes.

"Yeah, but I need the practice. I had to wear Spanx and heels for this op so I earn the right to choose if you cover my six or if I get yours." Y/N bites down on the inside of her cheek as she presses the side of her head against the locked box—listening closely for that signature click.

Bucky's lips quirk up in the slightest of smirks. "Touché."

"Shut up, Rapunzel. I'm trying to hear this."

"You're talking too," Bucky snorts. He hates the long-haired theme nicknames Y/N's always coming up with.

Okay: they may be inseparable, but they bicker endlessly. They'd never admit to needing or liking the other as much as they really do. That's part of their dynamic, their friend's would say. Ever since Y/N joined the team three months ago and started training with Bucky they've been unstoppable (and arguing in one form or another).

The radio pieces in their ears pick up on Black Widow's voice. "You guys got company."

Steve joins in. "Target's coming up to his office with a woman. Not his wife, in case anyone was wondering."

Bucky curses. He turns towards Y/N while still holding up the gun with one hand. "Told ya you wouldn't get it fast enough." He tosses her the weapon and then takes the spot on the carpet on one knee. Y/N guards the door with her focus reigned.

"Got it."

"You cracked it...?" The Butcher interrupts herself with a sigh when she turns back to see her partner. Bucky's slid the entire safe out of the wall with his metal arm and now has it resting on that silver shoulder. "Dumbass."

"Me?" Bucky laughs. He goes to the window and then makes room for Y/N beside him. "You're the one who couldn't get it open."

"If you're such a genius, tell me how you plan to get it down there? You can't ride the rope with a fucking safe on your arm." Y/N stuffs Bucky's weapon back in the holster on his pants before checking their escape route. Nat had come in before, dressed as a maid, and set up a grappling hook and a zip line that reaches down to the ground before.

"Easy." Bucky smirks and throws the heavy metal box out the window. The echoing crash of it into a dumpster brings a bigger smile to his face.

"Like I said," Y/N groans as she positions herself to slide down. "You're a dumbass."