76. STEVE: Where Are You, Christmas?

A/N: Happy holidays everyone! I love and appreciate you all :)

Words: 3K

Skipping down the hall, your bell earrings chime. Atop your head you've wrapped a cherry red snowman decorated bandana to hold back your hair to showcase your festive red lipstick. At the end of the hall you throw yourself into the scene of a lazy living room of people. Arms open wide, you shout excitedly for all to hear, "Ho, ho, ho!"

"No, no, no."

Your arms immediately drop to your sides. Wanda's softly giggling at you in the cheesy Christmas sweater and dorky jewelry while the rest of the boys keep on with their afternoon activities.

"No?!" you repeat in shock.

Bucky Barnes nods. He's not taking it back.

"Wha—what?! I've waited weeks to start being festive because I knew none of you Scrooges would be as excited as me. But it's only a WEEK until Christmas now! It's time to celebrate!" Again you throw open your arms.

Steve, who sits on the opposite side of the couch as Bucky as they watch TV, catches your eyes with his sympathetic smile. "Sorry, Y/N. I guess we're just not really in the Christmas spirit this year."

"Tell me about it," you huff. "No one's even mentioned it." You look over to T'Challa who sits doing paperwork at the kitchen counter. "Cha-cha? What are your thoughts?" You walk towards the Black Panther prince who you've come to love and adore over the past twelve months.

"On what, friend?" T'Challa has yet to even glance up at you in your ridiculous Christmas garb.

"Christmas, Cha-cha. Do you even celebrate it here in Wakanda?"

T'Challa looks up at you regretfully. "I am sorry, Y/N. I do not celebrate it, nor does anyone else here at the base."

"That's fine," you reply. "Steve, Buck, and Wanda will celebrate with me."

"I'm Jewish," Wanda replies sadly. "Sorry, Y/N."

You walk over towards the couch. "Bucky?" you try for the metal armed super soldier. He won't look at you from the TV screen until you block his view. "Wanna set up a tree with me? Maybe we can chop down something tropical because there's probably nothing very festive out here in the jungle..."

"No thanks." Bucky moves around until he can see the TV again.

You frown. "Rude." Turning to Steve, you put all of your remaining hope into him. "Steve...?"

The blond super soldier sighs. "Y/N, listen..." he scratches the back of his neck as you continue to stare at him sweetly. He breathes deeply. "It's just... after everything that happened this year with the Accords and Tony and the rest of the team—"

Bucky interjects, "There's nothing to celebrate."

"What? Of course there is. There's always something to celebrate."

Bucky, clearly not a fan of your eternal optimism, rolls his eyes. He's been very grouchy since they unfroze him last.

You plop down between Bucky and Steve on the couch but only focus on the handsome Captain. "Steve, please. Don't you remember how much fun we used to have back in New York? When it was snowing and Tony would throw those festive Christmas parties? And we'd do Secret Santa and White Elephant games and Clint would use an arrow to get the star to the top of the tree?"

Steve's chest is muddled with sadness. Your eyes, so wide and hopeful, look to him expectantly. "Y/N, I'm sorry. All of that's over now. It's not happening again."