95. BUCKY: This Kiss

A/N: This was a request made by the lovely Marvel_Fanatic_! Sorry it's taken almost a month, but it's finally here! I really, really hope you like it :) I loved the request and loved writing it!

Winnie

P.S. In case anyone was wondering where I got the inspiration for this... I found it on this week's finale of the Bachelor... that break-up was harsh, but stupid Arie had some GREAT quotes. I wrote them on my phone to draw inspiration from later lol. So thanks, Arie. At least you were good for something in the end besides BREAKING HEARTS.

Words: 6.2K

It all began with a kiss.

It'd been ten months ago when you first met Steve. He'd been a regular at your restaurant downtown. Your business was thriving, your friends were great, and your success was ten times above everyone else your age. All you were missing was someone to share it with. You thought you'd found it when you shared that first kiss with Steve. It'd been a steakhouse, ice-cream, movie theater date on your favorite side of town. His fingers had been soft and almost unsure as they brushed the hair away from your face. You'd found his nervousness endearing as his lips whisperingly pressed to yours. The adrenaline in your veins made your heart pound and the butterflies in your tummy run wild.

That kiss screwed you over. That kiss was beautiful: it was rain splattering the tops of your heads and cascading down his muscular body so perfectly you thought for a moment he was a figment of your imagination. His heavy coat, that he'd so graciously loaned you, was draped over your shoulders as he shivered from the cold. And when he'd pulled away the blue hue of his eyes had swallowed you up whole.

That kiss sent you spiraling down, down, down the Steve rabbit-hole.

It only took a few weeks for you to start meeting his friends. First it was Sam—the most stable of them all—then his superhero ally Natasha. Then there was Bucky Barnes. Bucky took the longest because Steve, although very trusting of the healing process the Princess Shuri had put him through, was nervous to bring his new girl around the formerly stable man. Bucky made it very easy very fast for you to trust him, though. It was awkward at first—especially the first time you two were left alone in the room together. You twiddled your thumbs while Bucky stared at the soccer game on TV. He didn't know what to say. Neither did you. But eventually your awkward charm bubbled out in the form of, "Can I see your new arm?"

Bucky had blinked—rather thrown off by your sudden request—but only chuckled as you blushed. He'd nodded and pulled up his sleeve so that you could admire the new tech carefully.

It was that moment that brought about a very good, very reliable friendship. Of course you never really interacted outside of hanging out with Steve, just because you felt odd without him there as a buffer between the two of you, because as much as you hated to admit it: Bucky Barnes was charming. He wasn't doing it on purpose, but he was charming the hell out of you. So for the eight months you've known him you've made it a point to keep yourself from giggling too hard at his jokes or looking too long at his rippling chest muscles: all out respect for your darling boyfriend Steve.

If only Steve held the same respect towards you.

When you met Sharon Carter you thought she was nothing more to Steve than say, Nat or Wanda. Boy oh boy were you wrong. There was something there between them that you could never see. You never saw it: maybe because you were hopelessly in love with Steve. Maybe you didn't want to see it. Or maybe, just maybe, you saw it and denied it for so long you'd convinced yourself your fears weren't real.