Chapter 9- The Worse Ones

Harley P.O.V:

     My friends and I sat in a café. We were having our usual hang out where we all had breakfast together. I never saw myself being someone like that. I was sitting with a group of "rich kids" wearing a flower covered dress and pink flats, a pink bomber jacket covering my shoulders.

    I stick my fork into my stack of pancakes and stared at it as the fork tore through it. My brow slowly rose as my eyes stayed glued to the pancakes.

Sarah giggled. "Harley?"

I flinched and looked at her. Everyone was staring at me, including her boyfriend, who had a weird smirk on his cheek.

"Are you...okay?"

I nodded and smiled. "Yeah. I'm fine."

Jenny put her hand on my back. "Were you thinking about Flynn?"

"No," I lied. "I mean...kind of. I don't know. I spoke to him yesterday-"

Sarah grinned. "You did?"

"Yeah... I mean, no... Technically. Billie spoke to him for me."

"Really?"

They all seemed eager to hear about what had happened, leaning towards me with wide eyes.

"He didn't know that I was there. He thought Billie wanted to ask him for advice."

Sarah furrowed her brows. "Why would Billie ask him for advice?"

"So he would have a reason to speak to Flynn...so I could listen in on them."

"Awe," Gretchen tilted her head. "You still love him, don't you?"

I looked at my pancakes. "I used to think that love wasn't a choice. But it is. You choose who you wanna love. And I don't love him the same way... But I miss him the Flynn I knew before we broke up." I looked up from my pancakes.

They were all staring at me.

Sarah shrugged. "But what did he say to Billie?"

"That he's unhappy. He's depressed and not eating."

Gretchen smiled which was a horrible reaction to something like that. "So, romantic. Is it because he misses you?"

"That's what he told Billie. But I think it's because of...something that happened when we were in high school."

"What happened?"

I looked at all of them. I was far away from home. Millions of miles away. They wouldn't know if I said anything about them. Besides, these kids were so self-centered they would forget about what I said right after I said it.

I took a deep breath. "I used to be...a goth- kinda-"

"Ppshh! We all had that faze," Sarah rolled her eyes and shrugged with a proud look on her face.

"Sure. But I wasn't overboard. I just didn't like people. I hated everyone, including Flynn... Especially him. And then he hit me with a bat and we started hanging out."

"Wait," Leon, Sarah's boyfriend furrowed his brows," what!"

"It was accidental. He had to take care of me and he had a girlfriend. I lied to his girlfriend about my sexuality so she wouldn't think he was cheating. And she brought me a set up."

"Ooo," Gretchen raised her brows, "You dated a girl?"

"Fake dated. She knew I was straight and she said she was too. She wanted to fit in at school so she faked it...She said she did. But she started to like me and things went south. She was so nuts she pushed me down my front steps and knocked me out...put me in a coma."

"Whoa," Leon rubbed the back of his head. "Crazy."

"Very...," I felt my heart sink. "When I was in the coma...my best friend told her to kill herself. And Flynn tried to stop her. But she did it right in front of him... And it broke him," I felt tears stinging my eyes. "I thought he took all of it well before. He went to therapy and took his meds. But it's beginning to show now that he isn't fine." A tear ran down my cheek. "I'm sorry," I quickly wiped it.

"It's okay," Leon gave me a quick assuring smirk.

Sarah glared at him then she looked at me. "I'm sure Flynn can take care of himself. You shouldn't have to worry about him. You're both done. Unless you still-"

"I don't. But he's been around me for as long as I can remember. Boyfriend or not, I still feel sorry for him. He was my best friend."

Gretchen rubbed my back.

Jenny nodded. "I know how you feel. I lost a friend in high school to cancer and she was a twin. Her brother...He used to be the nicest person I knew. Now he hates everyone."

"I had a best friend who killed herself in school too," Sarah nodded. "Well, she wasn't exactly my best friend, but I knew her."

"You teased her along with everyone else," Gretchen shook her head. "And you were never her friend."

"We joked around, Gretchen. Even you teased her."

"Actually," Gretchen pointed at her,"that's where you're wrong. I never teased her-"

"But you let her get teased," Sarah glared at her. "The people who choose to say nothing about the problem are worse than those who are the problem."

I felt my hands begin to shake. I was being one of those who didn't say anything. Flynn was suffering and I didn't do anything about it. "I have to go," I quickly stood.

Sarah looked up at me. "Where are you going?"

"I uh- I have to go do something important."

"But you can't walk back."

"I can take the bus-"

"Let me take you," Leon shrugged. "I'll drop you off and then come back here."

The buses took long in the part of the city we were in. I nodded. "Thanks."

Leon stood.

Sarah glared at him.

"See you guys later," I waved at them.

They all waved back but Sarah's smile was visibly fake. She was nice but I feared her bad side. And I was unknowingly stepping into it.