Chapter 10- Other People

I sat in Leon's car with my eyes out the window. We had just pulled out of the parking lot of the cafe and were heading down the street.

Leon cleared his throat sounding a bit nervous. "Are you okay?"

"I'm fine," I looked at him and smiled, then I looked outside again. "I'm just admiring New York," I giggled.

"What's it like?"

"New York?" I looked at him.

"No...you're home town."

"A lot less busy than it is here. It's sunnier, obviously... And I have to say good morning when I meet people on the street."

"It's that friendly?"

"Yeah."

"Do you miss it?"

"Of course I do. But I'm away from the people who gave me a hard time."

He nodded as we stopped at the light. Then he looked at me. His eyes darted around my face and his brows furrowed.

I giggled. "What?"

He shook his head. "Nothing," he turned away. Then he looked at me at the corner of his eyes, his hand clutching the stirring wheel.

I smiled feeling my cheeks burn. I seemed to make him uncomfortable and yet he still wanted to be around me. He liked me. I could tell. My smile slowly faded. My heart was still invested in Flynn. I hadn't even been around another boy on my own, other than Billie. I hadn't tried to move on yet.

I leaned my head up against the window, and stared at the couple sitting outside of a cafe. The man stretched his hand out and touched the girl's hand. She quickly pulled it away, standing and grabbing her purse. The man mouthed the word "baby" as he watched her walk away. He turned to the table and covered his mouth, shaking his head.

As the light changed, the car began to move, catching up to the girl.

My eyes followed her, examining her expression and movement. She wiped her cheek then she tucked her hair behind her ears and held her head high.

We drove past her and I sat back in the seat.

"It's not everyday you witness a break up from your car," Leon chuckled.

"Yeah," I smirked at him the I looked at my hands. "...She was really pretty. Walked it off pretty well too."

"She did seem really confident. I bet she'll get over him really fast."

I tucked my hair behind my ear, then I looked at him. "Where'd you meet Sarah?"

"Uh- High school. We took a math class together. She asked me to help her out and then we started dating in the Tenth grade."

I giggled. "Were you some kind of jock?"

"I was a bit of a nerd, actually. Thought you would figure that out from the fact that I tutored her in math."

"Jocks can be smart. Flynn was...,"I froze, then I smiled and looked at Leon. "Flynn's a pretty smart guy. He was a straight "A"s student, but he was still a complete tool before I dated him."

"Well, Sarah's just a pretty face," be said rolling his eyes. They suddenly grew.  He looked at me to see if I had noticed.

I smiled pretending that I didn't.

He gave me that look again where his eyes examined my face. Then he turned away. "Can I ask you something? I know people find it offensive and I'm sure you get it a lot but-"

I raised my brow. "What am I?"

He looked at me. "Yeah..I'm not trying to be rude. You're just...interesting."