Chapter 38- A Loving Embrace

The moment Mekhi and stepped out of our building a gleam hit Mekhi's eyes.

He walked backwards with a smile on his face.

I smirked and shook my head. "Where are we going?"

"Just follow me," he turned around and started walking foward. "Also, please keep up."

"It's one something in the morning. I'm tired and I smell like se-"

"Tmi," he shouted stretching his arms out.

A light in a house turned on.

"Tmi to you too," I run over to him and nudged his shoulder. "People are sleeping."

He chuckled then he put his hand on my shoulder. "We're going here," he showed me his phone.

I raised a brow. "A park?"

"Just trust me, okay? You can hold onto my phone."

I took it. "Why?"

"Because we're racing each other there."

"What? No. I can't-"

"You can. I'll cross the street so you have a better chance of getting there before me."

"Mekhi," I sighed.

He smiled then he crossed the street. He stood on the sidewalk jumping up and down. Then he cracked his neck and wiggled his arms.

"Should I be warming up too?"

"Too late. Ready?"

I looked at his phone. "Uh...yeah. I guess."

"Okay." He got into a running stand.

I followed him, planting one foot behind the other.

"On your mark..."

"Wait," I shook my head.

"Get set."

"Mekhi, this is silly."

He stood straight. "Come on. This is going to be fun."

I sighed. "It's late. I don't think we should-" I quickly sprinted off.

"No fair!" I heard him shout behind me.

I laughed and started following the map, speeding down the street. Like a cartoon character, I tripped on my shoelace and fell to the floor, dropping the phone.

I sighed and stood up dusting off my dress. Then I looked at the phone. My hand had clicked out of Google map. "Shoot." I started searching for it again unsure of how to work Mek's weird phone. 

I couldn't call him, obviously. I sighed and started walking back towards the dormitory. "Sorry Mek. My bed needs me."

My eyes ran down to his unlocked phone. He was such a reserved person when it came to himself that curiosity got the best of me.

I clicked on his gallery and began to look though it.

Most of his pictures were of scenery. There were no selfies. The only photos I came across of him in them were pictures with his family.

One of them was of him in a park with his family, each of them wearing t-shirts with the colors of the Italian flag.

I sighed. I knew I shouldn't be snooping but I couldn't stop. Then I did...on one photo. It was of a girl. She had short curly hair and dark brown skin and her smile was so bright that I couldn't stop staring. She was beautiful. She sat on a park bench raising peace signs to the camera.

"What are you doing?" Mekhi's voice startled me.

I quickly looked up from his phone. He was walking towards me. "I was trying to find your map," I tried to exit the picture but I couldn't. "Shit."

He furrowed his brows and took his phone. When his eyes landed on the picture, they grew wide then filled with grief. He suddenly smiled. "It's okay," he shoved his phone in his pocket. "Let's just go to the park."

"Do you think that maybe we should go back? I mean, what the hell is going to be happening in a park at this time of night-"

"Harley," he shouted, making me flinch. His eyes looked teary.

"Are you okay?"

He quickly wiped his cheek. "I'm fine. Just come to the park with me...please."

I nodded and held his hand. "Okay." I didn't know why he was sad, or why we wante me to come to the park. But something told me that he needed a hug. I quickly pulled him in and wrapped my arms around him. It was something Flynn would do for a friend.

He took a while to hug me back, then he slowly embraced me.

"You don't have to like me," I layed on his shoulder. "But I like you. So, whatever is on your mind...I'm here for you."

I heard him sniffling. "Thank you," he squeezed me.

I smiled, squeezing him tighter. It felt good to hug someone out of real love. Hayden's hugs were selfish hugs. We did it because we needed it. We didn't care how much the other person did. But I cared about Mekhi. He needed a hug and it made me feel good to give it to him.