Chapter 40- Better Mekhi

Mekhi covered my eyes as we stepped out from a train. "This is stupid," I shook my head. "How am I supposed to walk?"

He chuckled. "I said the same thing when she brought me here." He uncovered my eyes.

I furrowed my brows, staring at the tiled subway wall. "Time...square?" I raised my brows then I turned around and looked at him. "We're in Times Square?"

He grinned and nodded.

I smiled. "Why?"

"You'll see," he grabbed my hand.

I looked at our hands as we walked. Then I smiled at him.

He smiled back not realizing why I was smiling at him.

I liked him.

We walked up the steps of the subway and walked unto the sidewalk.

I looked around at lights. "It just gets more beautiful every time I come here."

He nodded. "Yeah."

I looked at him. There was a twinkle in his eyes.

He quickly blinked the tears back. "Let's go." He started pulling me."

"Where?"

He ignored me.

We ran through crowds of people, then he slowed down his pace. "There," he pointed at a homeless man sitting by the street. He had a leg with an open sore.

I crinkled my nose.

Mekhi quickly rushed over to him, opening his bag and handing the man a sandwich, drink and snack.

The man's smile was so bright and warming, that it didn't matter how many of his teeth was missing to me. He was happy.

Mekhi smiled at him then he opened his wallet and handed the man twenty dollars. "It's all I have."

"Thank you," the old man nodded with tears in his eyes.

Mekhi stood and walked over to me.

I stared at him. "That was...really nice of you."

"It's your turn."

"What?" I furrowed my brows. "I can't do that-"

"Harley," he put his hand on my shoulder.

I looked at it then I looked at him.

"Anyone can do something nice for someone else...Here." He went into his bag and took out a sandwich, snack and water bottle. He handed then to me, then he went into his wallet and tucked a twenty dollar bill into my dress pocket.

I took a deep breath then I scanned the street for someone to share with.

A man stood playing a guitar by the sidewalk. Not many people we stopping to give him any money and by the sweat stains on his shirt I could tell he was desperate.

I looked back at Mekhi.

He nodded. "Go."

I slowly walked over to the man dropping all of the stuff into his guitar case.

He stopped playing and looked at me with furrowed brows.

"Hi," I smiled at him, digging my hands into my pocket and handing the man the twenty dollar bill.

He took it with a smile. "Thank you."

I nodded.

"I've been here all day. You're one of the few people who stopped for me."

I felt something in my chest. I felt good. I had done something good.

I walked back over to Mekhi.

He clapped. "It felt good, didn't it?"

I nodded staring at him with confused feeling towards him.

"We have twenty-eight more sandwiches to give away."

"Where did you get all of this money?"

"My church and out of my pocket."

"Your church trusts you?"

"Yes. Because they know that I wouldn't use the money for things other than the job I said I would do."

"You're a good person," I felt my cheeks turn red.

"I try to be. We can all be good people if we try to. It's hard but possible."

I nodded. "You're right."

"Now, come on. We have other people on the street to share with." He started walking.

I followed, staring at him. He reminded me so much of Flynn. His personality was so selfless. The only difference between then was that he knew himself. He knew when he needed to be selfish...to put his foot down. It made him a better person.

I wanted to be like him.