Chapter 11- The Sarah I Met

I walked down the hallway near the school cafeteria hoping I wouldn't run into any of my "friends". I couldn't handle having to make a choice. Jenny was the obvious one I should have made but I liked Leon. He was dating Sarah but he she didn't deserve him. And whether I would date him or not, I had to get him out of that clique.

I felt someone poke my shoulder. I looked up. "Leon," I forced a smile on my cheeks. "Hey."

"Not happy to see me," he raised a brow.

"What?" I sang.

"I can tell," he pointed at his temple. "It's about Sarah, isn't it? You heard about Jenny?"

I pretended to be confused. "What happened to Jenny?"

"Sarah cursed her out in the cafe. She said something that hurt her feelings so she told Jenny off."

I mumbled not thinking he would hear me. "Is that what you heard?"

"Yes, that's what I heard."

I quickly looked up at him.

He furrowed his brows. "Jenny told you something else, didn't she?"

I was about to answer him when someone tucked their arm around mine.

Gretchen grinned at me, tucking her red hair behind her ear. "Getting lunch with us?"

"Uh-"

"Of course she is," Sarah pushed herself between me and Leon.

"Guys," I giggled uncomfortably looking at the floor. "I can't I was just about to go back to my room."

"Nonsense," Sarah said like a wicked stepmother. "You're eating with us."

She held my hand and started leading me into the cafeteria.

Jenny walked past us with an empty plate in her hand. She glared at me, with a puppy dog look of betrayal, then she threw her plate in the trash and walked away.

I looked at Sarah.

She was smiling.

Was she even worth it?

*  *  *

When we met she was really nice. I walked into my English twelve class and found myself a seat in the middle of the classroom...next to Sarah.

I hadn't paid much attention to her because my main focus was getting breakfast the moment class had ended. New York was cold and snow covered everything that had no shade. It was pretty until the snow began to look like the white t-shirt of a construction worker.

I took off my coat and let it hang over the back of my chair, then I fixed my sweater. My mom had sown it for me for Christmas. It was burgundy and there were pink hearts all over it. It was definitely not for my age but it was what she could design. She took a sowing class and that's what she'd learned to do.

Sarah looked at my sweater like it was a pile of crap smeared on my chest, then she turned away.

I looked around and noticed that a few other people had been snickering at my sweater but I didn't care. As long as I was warm.

Sarah touched my shoulder. "Do you have a pencil?"

"Sure," I gave her a quick smile before I leaned over and opened my bag. I hadn't noticed it, but when I had leaned over, my arm had brushed the desk. A thread on my sweater was pulled. I sat back and handed Sarah the pencil then I took out my phone.

The professor seemed to be running late.

I scrolled through my pictures and landed on Flynn. I smiled at his face then I frowned.