Chapter 36 - The final match

Weeks have passed and it was finally time for the revenge match between the Generation of Gods and Jabberwock. The generation of Miracles sat along with the audience as they waited for the match to start. Unlike the first match, which happened in an open court for everyone and anyone to see, today's game is happening inside a gymnasium.

It was buzzing with excitement and cheers all through-out the place but it quietened when the Gods entered the court. "Something seems different about them." Momoi mumbles. Akashi thinks the same. They were... carefree. They were talking to each other like there was no one else except for them present. And something else caught Akashi's eyes.

He was sure he just saw Mizumi smirk the moment Jabberwock stepped foot on the opposite side of them. It seems that the captain, Nash Gold Jr, was planning on talking to them before the game starts.

Then he met the eyes of the captain of the Gods, Minamoto Satomi. Akashi felt annoyed when Satomi sent him a playful smile remembering something embarrassing.

~Flashback

"It's been a while huh? I'm surprised you managed to get the guys to root for you." Satomi tells him.

"I don't think I got everyone's approval." Akashi counters since Shei is still reluctant. He still glares at him from time to time.

"Nah, trust me. You did well." Satomi grins. "Also, thank you. The game is tomorrow. If she was troubled right before the match, everything we've all worked for would've been for nothing. She would've built a wall between all of us again."

"I know that." Watching Mizumi for the past weeks made him notice all the little changes. The slight step she took when she wanted to approach the other Miracles. The way she would fist her hand behind her back if she was thinking seriously. The slight flinch whenever she would hear him. He knew there were times she tried to act like she's okay with him being close. Times when they exchanged a few words. But he also knew when it was right to back down and keep a bit of distance.

He was glad she was willing to at least give him a nod whenever their eyes met. It was enough. He didn't want to push just yet afraid that the small thread he held on to might break with just one wrong thing.

"Anyway, so what's your plan tomorrow?" Satomi asks which brought him out of his thoughts. "Surely you have something planned after the game?"

"Of course. What do you see me for?" Satomi grinned even more. "What cute plan do you have now? Did Yusuke give you some advices on what to do?"

Now it was Akashi's turn to grin. "I don't need a mere peasant to give me advices."

"Ohoho, confident aren't we? Well good luck then."

"To you too."

"We don't need that. We'll wipe the floor with those disgusting mortals."

"Confident aren't we?" Akashi returned his words back to him.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I can't believe he would actually make me work so hard." Akashi mumbles to himself. But he was glad. He learned a lot because of this and he won't just waste this chance given to him. He sighs and thinks, it will all be worth it. He tries to keep himself calm before facing Mizumi again after the game so he focuses his attention on the enemy team and the Gods.

"You know, you still have time to back out. It wouldn't be fun to actually win against you monkeys again." Nash says but the Gods ignored him and continue to banter with each other. It annoys him that they just ignored him like that and it doesn't go unnoticed when Mizumi looked at him for a brief moment.