Chapter IX: CCG

"WHAT!?!?!?!?" I shout at the group in front of me.

             After talking to Shinohara-san for a while I learned that he HAD seen everything that Whammy's and L had on me and judging by his time of arrival, he had also seen my fighting abilities. Combining all of the above qualities, he figured that I'd make quite the impressive investigator. 

             "How the HELL and I supported to work with someone who's job it to track down and kill people like me?!" I shout, slamming my hands down onto the table that currently consists of L's desserts, an assortment of Near's toys, Matt's elbow, and Mello's feet. 

            "Where did he come form anyway?" Matt mumbles over the 'beeps' and 'bangs' coming from his DS. 

            "That's the question you're asking right now?" I ask unamused. 

           "I wouldn't worry about it if I were you. He doesn't suspect anything, right?" Near's voice pipes up as he toys with one of the cars in front of him. 

            "Besides, he couldn't tell you were part ghoul unless you told him, right." L says, playing with a piece of lemon cake on his plate. 

              "And it's not like you actually eat people, so they couldn't connect anything to you, even if they wanted." Mello says taking a bite of his chocolate bar. Jeez, why is he always eating?

            "All of your points are valid, but aren't you forgetting something?" they all look at me like I just spoke in a forge in language that I had just invented in my head. 

          "THE PHYSICAL EXAM!!! What if they take a blood sample?!"

          "If you really are only one eighth ghoul, I don't think you'll have to worry about them finding any RC Cells in your blood." L's words were meant to be reassuring, but as he said them, memories of the experiments came to the top of my mind. 

           They did put more RC Cells into my blood. They worst part being that it was from all four types of kagune! Although I hadn't told anyone else yet, I didn't want to mention it.

           "At least we'll all be able to keep in touch. I can give you a cellphone and that will give us an easy way to contact you if needed. Besides, I think that this will be a good chance for you to go out and explore the world, maybe meet some new people." I look over at L like he's crazy, but of course he's not. 

          'Great, no way of getting out of this.' 

            The room falls silent as everyone awaits my response. After a few more minutes of lip biting and thorough contemplating, I speak my decision.

           "Alright. I'll do it." Everyone smiles a bit at my answer. 

          "I knew you could do it." Matt says as he wraps an arm around my neck, giving me a noogie.

            "Aw, our little sis, all grown up, making her own decisions." Mello taunts, pretending to cry as he messes up my hair even more.

            "Alright. Alright. Enough! I get it." they both laugh at my irritation. 

          I let out a sigh of relief before letting my shoulders fall.

          "I'm going to bed." I mumble, turning to walk out of the room, followed by a chorus of 'Byes' and 'Good nights'. 

           Once I reach my room, I undress myself, throw my clothing into the hamper, grab a fuzzy robe and head for the shower. I was a little sore after today's training, but I've had days when it was much worst. After letting the warm water relax my tense muscles for a couple minutes, I dry off, dress, and lay down in bed, thinking about Shinohara-san and his offer.