Chapter XXVI: ...the better it gets?

After Shinohara-san had signed me out of the hospital, he offered to walk me home. I accepted and we walked all the way back to my apartment. The whole time I had my fingers crossed, silently hoping that Juuzou would be there when we arrived, but sadly that wasn't the case. After dropping my off with a quick goodbye, Shinohara made his way back down the hall. He promised to keep a look out for Juuzou while he was at it. 

     I closed the door behind me and let out a long sigh, sliding against the door to the floor. I sat there for a minute before decided to grab my phone off of the arm of the couch. I unlock it and begin to dial L's number. For some reason, he's the one I really want to talk to at the moment. Once I dial the number, I raise my hand to my ear and I catch a glimpse of red on my wrist. I pull up my sleeve and lightly trace over the stitches weaved into my forearm. 'Juuzou

     I sigh again before pressing call and waiting for someone to pick up. After hearing the phone ring one, two, three times a familiar voice picks up. 

     "Ah, Miss Karma, I was wondering when you would contact us."  A voice greets me happily.

     "Hello Watari."

***********

     After talking to both of them for a while, merely just catching up and checking in, I tell L what happened. 

     "I see..." He mumbles like usual. I had just finished my story up until the part when I just got home followed by a few moments of silence. 

     "So, he knows?" L questions. 

    I nod, then remember he can't see me. "Yes."

     "And he's currently where doing what?" This time he speaks through a mouth full of food. 

     "I don't know." I admit hesitantly. 

     "Well then, I say it'd be best to find him before something happens." I bite my thumbnail while imagining L doing the same.

     "I know. I just want to give him some time first. I can't imagine he's taking this quite well." I speak low, bringing my knees to my chest, letting my hair fall into my face a bit.

     "Mmmm." He acknowledges. "A good idea, but let me ask you something, Karma and I need you answer truthfully."

     I nod again. "What is it?" 

     He's quiet for a minute, probably eating something else again. 'He's so classy.'  I would've chuckled if the moment weren't so serious right now. 

      "Do you trust him?" He states simply rather than asking.

     "... I've worked with him for a long time and..." I look down to read the read stitches on my wrist once again. "...I do." I nod firmly, even confidently. 

     "Very well. I encourage you to do this, but the only piece of advice I think I could give you would be to think this out carefully before you confront him. Judging by what you've told me about his past, he may not be very... stable in this type of situation." 

     "Yes, I understand. Thank you, L" 

     "Of course. Good luck, (n/n)."

    I smile before I hear him hang up the phone. I let my arm drop down to my side before deciding to stand up. As much as I knew I needed to eat something, I couldn't bring myself to do so. I was just too tired. I make my way to my bedroom before stripping and getting in the shower, carelessly letting my clothes fall to the ground. I turn on the warm water and wash myself, spending a little extra time to let the water wash over my back and head. Once I feel relaxed, I step out and dry off, changing into a lightweight short sleeve tee shirt and a part of shorts. I grab my headphones, phone, and the new book Kaneki got for me before turning on 'DNA' by BTS.