Chapter XXXVIII: Kaneki, Kira, and the Effects of a Kiss

Just another 'lemon' warning. And Kira being and a**hole again... ugh
Enjoy!
<<***>>

'Sheesh. Glad I wore shorts today.' I slip my fingers into the belt loops of mentioned shorts and tilt my head side to side, stretching out the sudden stiffness in my neck. I look around me as I walk; I was now only a few blocks from Anteiku.

'I wonder what they'll say.'  I ponder, subconsciously furrowing my brow. 'Will they be mad that I left for such a long time without any warning or will they just not give a damn?' I stop in my tracks before an intersection, waiting for the crosswalk light to turn green. 'Well, knowing Nishiki he'll probably be mad that me not being there gave him more work. And Touka, she'll most likely be mad that I left her with him. But at least she has Hinami.'  I chuckle inwardly as the light turns green, signaling for me to cross.

I hum lightly, making my way across the street then turn and head up the set of stairs beside the 'Anteiku' sign. I push the door open, quietly stepping inside as the little bell above the door announces my arrival. I'm only just through the door when I register the sight in front of me. It was quite similar to the scene I was met with the first time I came through the door: Touka and Nishiki arguing about something, only this time seemed far more serious than before. Nishiki was red in the face, his glasses almost to the tip of his nose and his hair uneven as if he had run his hands through it too many times but Touka seemed far worse off. Her expression held on my pure anger and something else I hadn't seen before on her... worry? Her eyes were beginning to water but she looked far from the start of crying. I let my eyes wander to the broom she hand clenched in her hand so tightly her knuckles began to turn white before I did a quick once-over of the place. As soon as the bell rang, the two shot a nasty glare at me before realization hits them.

"(Y/n)?" Touka asks more than states, her voice wavering but sturdy. She brushes a strand of short hair behind her ear before clearing her throat. "Nishiki... would you mind-" Before she can even finish, Nishiki abruptly spins on his heel and heads for the door to the rest of the café. "Not at all." He grumbles, giving you a curt nod as he brushes against your shoulder.

It's quiet until the door clicks shut behind Nishiki. As soon as it does, Touka instantly drops the broom she was holding, letting it fall to the floor before she starts toward me. I'm caught off guard as her arms suddenly pull me into a tight hug, her head pressed against myshoulder. The two of us stay like this for a bit before she lets go. I would've hugged her back but she hugged me so tight my arms were stuck to my sides.

She looks to the side, letting her fringe fall over her eyes as her hands simultaneously clench and  unclench. It was so... akward and out of place to see Touka like this. She seemed really upset, like there was something nawing at her from the inside but what would she have to worry about. I've heard she's good in school overall, she has a job that she enjoys, she's pretty, she doesn't have much to worry about.

Regret

That's it. I didn't know how or why but it had to do with regret. Lucky for me, the habit of analyzing came from L and it had yet to let you down.

"It's... it's my fault. It's my fault he's not here. It's my fault I let them get away. I should've done something... anything, but... it's my fault he's gone." I stared at Touka and watched as her breathing started to become uneven.

"Woah, woah, woah. Slow down. What do you mean? What happened?" I take her by the wrist and lead her to a table, sitting her down before taking a seat across from her. She places her hands on the table in front of her, intertwining her fingers. "It's Kaneki. He's gone. They took him." She says quietly as if she's ashamed, her voice getting smaller at the end.