Chapter XI: "...Roommates?"

***Later That Night***

I sit in my bedroom of my apartment. I was given this place as soon as Shinohara had brought me to work here. It certainly wasn't like HQ, but it was good enough for me.

I was listening to music on my new iPod and reading another one of my books.

'Finally, some peace and quiet.'

*DING DONG*

'Well, guess I spoke to soon.' I groan before getting out of bed and making my way toward the door of my apartment, taking a peek at the clock on the way there.

'Who rings someones door bell at 9:30 at night?'

I open my door to reveal the two figures I've already spent my day with.

"Hello, (y/n). I'm sorry to disturb you this late at night, but I just received a request from the 'higher up's '. " Shinohara says, rubbing the back of his neck sheepishly.

I then turn toward Juuzou who stands next to him, rocking back and forth on his feet, humming a random tune. I sigh before stepping to the side.

"Alright, come on in." I respond, followed by an excited squeal from Juuzou. I like the kid so far, but it's a little too late for this...

They both follow me in and Shinohara leads Juuzou to the couch while I make my way to the kitchen to prepare some tea. I come back with a tray of tea and a little bowl of fruit, to see Shinohara tracing the letters on the cover of my 'Frankenstein' book that Near gave to me, and Juuzou sitting on his hands, looking around the room, his eyes as wide as saucers.

His red eyes meet mine before connecting with the tray in my hands, making him smile before giggling a 'thanks' while taking a strawberry off of the tray and eating it.

"So, as I was saying before, I have a favor to ask of you." Shinohara says.

I pour him a cup of tea and raise my eyebrows as a way of saying continue, before moving to Juuzou, then myself.

"Well, I'll get straight to the point: the higher ups think that it'll be a good idea to have you and Juuzou room together."

Both of them watch me as I begin putting cube after cube of sugar into my tea cup, mimicking L. Deep in thought, I fail to notice Juuzou's fascination in the amount of sugar I'm putting in my cup, while Shinohara on the other hand seems to have finally gotten used to my sweets addiction.

'Is this a good idea? I guess there's really no problem with having a room mate, and I don't mind that he's a boy, I've lived with Matt, Mello, and near for so long. But what if he finds out about me? Or what if he were to find out about Whammy's and my connection to L. That could lead to some problems and I would hate to have to hurt him...' I trail out of my thoughts as I look back up at Juuzou who now seems to be playing with a couple of berries on the plate in front of him.

'He seems so child-like, but judging by the paperwork the CCG has on him, he's here for a good reason aside from Shinohara-san's soft heart.'

I then rest my head on my knee, curled up in my chair.

"Sure, I don't see why not!" I say, giving them a closed eyed smile.

Juuzou jumps up and runs over to me, practically yanking me out of my chair and begins to squeeze me half to death.

'Dang, this kid's stronger than he looks.'