Chapter XXXV: Kira Case [Part 5] R.I.P

I woke up to the sound of a scream. I couldn't tell whose it was, but I knew it couldn't be good. As soon as my eyes opened I was somehow filled with an unexplainable feeling of dread.

I looked out the window to see it was raining, hard. 

That only made the feeling worst.

And why... was I hearing... bells?

My eyes widened and I jumped out of bed. I couldn't put my finger on it but...

L

I ran to the door and threw it open ere racing down the hall. 

I could hear voice as I got closer. It sounded like everyone was gathered in the main room. 

After what seemed like an eternity, I found the stairs, stopping at the top to quickly evaluate the scene in front of me. 

Everyone, the police, Misa, and... Light were all gathered in a huddle, staring at something.... someone... on the ground.

"No..." I say in a breathy whisper.

My feet move by themselves as I race down the glass stairs, my feet making a soft sound as they come into contact with each step. The sound was quiet but enough to catch people's attention. 

They all stared at me with faces full of sorrow and pity. 

God how I hated that look. No matter what happens I don't need your damn pity!

I walked closer, my feet slowing down to a slow walk as I got closer. 

"Wait, don't, Karma-" Light hooks his arms with mine, preventing me from getting any closer, but the white sleeve I spot on the floor only makes me push him off of me and past the group of people huddled together. 

They all gasp and mutter apologizes as my knees become weak, making me fall to floor in front of the body.

All their voices were muted to me as I stared into L's eyes, watching as the last of the light leave them.

With his last remaining energy he raises his hand to hold me cheek.

I press it against my cheek as I feel his arm get heavy.

I attempt to look into his eyes through my blurry ones. His eyes begin to close.

"No, no. L, stay with me. Come on. Please don't leave me." I say softly, running my fingers through his soft black locks. I lay his head on my lap and intertwine my fingers with his as his strength leaves his arm. the only thing holding his warm hand against my cheek was my own hand.

"No L, don't leave me... please." I wasn't aware of it, but everyone had left, giving me sometime with L. All except one of course. 

"Please... father..." I tasted the saltiness of my tears as they flowed down my cheeks, a few landing on his.

I use my hand that was in his hair to wipe them away, only of more to come, refusing to let go of his hand. 

I gently squeezed his hand, hoping that somehow he'd squeeze it back. But that will never happen. Never again. I will never see my savior, my sanity, my father... ever again. 

All because he's... gone.

"It's all my fault. I should've stayed by you. I should've been here to protect you and now... now I will never see you again.

Please... please forgive me. I-I love you." I shake as sobs rake my body. I press my lips to his hand only to gasp and pull away at the contact. 

How it that... possible? That thought alone terrified me.