Chapter XVIII: First Day

The next morning, I woke up and got ready to visit Anteiku. 

     'Might as well do it now. I've got nothing else to do.' I sigh before putting on a long sleeve v-neck and a pair and jeans/leggings. 

     I'm about to leave the room when I catch my reflection in the mirror. I look at myself for a moment, finally taking a moment to see how much I may have changed since I last saw L and my brothers. After looking at myself for a couple of seconds, I close my eyes as memory after memory flashes through my mind.

******Flashback******

      I was running. Fast. I was breathing heavily, but I somehow managed to keep the sound of my breathing and footsteps completely silent. My hands were sweating as my grip on my daggers tightened. I knew that anything could happen right now. I wasn't afraid of getting hurt, actually, that was the least of my worries. We already knew that I healed quickly, and that I could no longer feel pain like before. But that doesn't mean that I forgot what it felt like. At least not completely. I almost miss the feeling sometimes. 

     I came to a halt as I finally reached the end of the small, artificial maze set in the center of the room. I froze as my eyes landed on my target. 

     'There he is. Now if I could only get closer without him knowing.' I look up to see Mello standing by the end of one of the other exits, only a few feet from where I stand.

      He gripped his pistol tighter before our eyes locked. We both nodded, before he looked over my shoulder. My eyes followed his before spotting Matt. We all exchanged glances before turning back to our dark haired target.

      'Now, where's Near?' My question was answered as a flash of white flew over our heads and landed silently beside our target. 

     Near began the attack, striking and missing that target. Matt, Mello, and I took this opportunity to join in. We simultaneously ran and attacked, again, and again, and again. After landing a few feet away from our target, the result of a previously failed attack, I lifted my arms and threw dagger after dagger, each hitting where I wanted, exactly. 

     The six knives were made their way past my comrades and caught onto our targets clothing, pinning him to the ground. Now that he was still, I pulled another out of my jacket and jumped forward, stopping right above his neck. Mello had reloaded his gun after firing shot after shot, and pointed the gun at the target's head. Matt and Near had also joined us by now and took their positions above the man on the ground, ready to attack again.

     Suddenly, the lights were turned on to reveal the familiar training room around us. The room was littered with pads, weapons, and punching bags along with mats and working out tech, save for a few computers and sweet snacks in a nearby corner. We all looked up to see Watari enter the room, a smile present on his face.

      "Well, sir. It would seem that you own your students something as promised." the butler says. The man on the floor groans before sitting up after waiting for us to back away.

      "So it would seem." L says as he rises from the ground, turning to me, my knives in his hands. I thank him before reclaiming them once again.

      "I must say, that was quite impressive. I almost didn't hear Near until the last minute." he says, lazily walking towards a sweets cart, grabbing a slice of strawberry cake. 

     The four youngest in the room exchange looks of pride and self satisfaction before L's voice brings our attention back to him. 

     "But," he says, lifting a strawberry to his mouth, eating it whole. "Matt, you must learn to attack at every opening. Your attacker won't hesitate in doing so. Therefore, neither can you." Matt nods before L turns to Mello.