Chapter XXV: The more you know...

"Oh-no." 

**************

      I felt her kagune release me as it fell to the ground, lifeless, just like the rest of her. I looked back up at my partners. Although my vision was becoming blurry due to my loss of blood, I could still make out the many emotions washing over both of them. A mixture of surprise, uncertainty, confusion, and... fear?

      'But... why would they be afraid of me? Did I really...? Am I really...?'  I feel myself stumble, losing balance, but I catch myself, resting against my scythe.

       "(y/n)...chan...?" I hear Juuzou mumbles shakily, uncertainty in his eyes as he reaches out to me as I fall to one knee.

      'Dang it... this wound is deeper than I thought.'  I groan as I attempt to sit on my heels. 

      For once, I wish that I was able to feel physical pain again, but I figured that if I could, I would've passed out from the amount of pain my body would be registering.

      I could hear shouts and people yelling commands at the base of the hill that the warehouse rests on, but I was too tired to even try to decipher their words.

      "They're coming." I hear Shinohara mumble. He seemed to be taking this much better than Juuzou. Much better than I would have figured.

      'Wait, who's coming? I... I thought that we were in the mission... alone.'  I was starting to lose a lot of blood.

     I look over at Juuzou, only to find that he was deep in thought. 

     "Juuzou... please." I reach out to him. My voice is barely above a whisper. He looks up at me at the sound of my voice and tears start to prickle at the corner of his eyes. He doesn't let them fall though. He hasn't before, so why should he now? He seems to be contemplating, fighting an battle within himself.

     His face is blank for a second and I see something cross his eyes. He lowers his head, his fringe casting a shadow over his eyes, making me gulp. He slowly walks toward me, raising his quinque. My eyes widen as he whispers his next words into my ear. 

     "Play along... okay?" He commands, still looking down. 

     He doesn't even wait for my response, he simply raises his scythe to my shoulder. I'm completely focused on him, as the lights from the bottom of the hill become brighter, creating a bright, fuzzy atmosphere.

     'Their voices are louder than before. They'll be here soon. Whatever he's planning to do, he better do it soo-'

     I stand still, not really able to move. I stare at him in shock, wondering if he really did what I thought he did. I look down to see blood slowly leaking out of the new slash running across my upper body.

     'I'll... take that as a... yes...'

    I fall to both knees, only for Juuzou to catch me before I collapse completely. Although I still can't see the look in his eyes, I can tell that it's certainly not a look that he wants me to see. 

    "Stitches?" I slowly lift my hand to the side of his face, gently stroking his cheek before I feel myself fall limp. Completely unconscious; taken over by the dark.

***********

    Beep... beep... beep... beep.

I feel myself start to wake up as I hear a soft, steady beeping.

    'It's so... dark.'  I groan as I try to remember what happened. 

    I attempt to move, an arm, my legs, but nothing happens. I feel like lead, like something heavy was on top of me.