Chapter XL: Back to You

[Note at the end. Please read.]

§§§§§§§§§§§§§§

"JUUZOU!!!" You scream, running to his side as you watch him slump into the cold concrete ground. 

"No! No, no, no, no, no!" You repeat in a hushed panic, falling to your knees as you reach him. You rest his head on your lap as you begin to run your trembling fingers through the hair matted to his forehead from copious amounts of sweat and dried blood.

"Juuzou!" You cry out, your voice breaking as you try to somehow shake him awake. Your breathing became frantic and you could feel the fierce bite of the bitter cold seeping in through your dampened knees, only making you shiver more.

You feel something warm seeping into the snow that you sat upon and through your blurry eyes you're able to make out the pool of red that ever-so-slowly spread across the ground, staining the pure snow with the color of your lover. The sight was an odd mixture of beautiful and horrid but knowing that the blood wasn't yours but his made you sick. 

You caress his cheek, your own hands already red from the bitter cold and the stain of red that covered the streets. Your eyes filled with more tears as you froze in place. It had been so long since you've been this scared and the thing that frightened you the most was the you weren't sure what to do. Could you still save him? What if... what if you couldn't?

You squeeze your eyes shut and in a flurry of adrenaline and urgency, you tear off your jacket and rip off one of your sleeves. The snow landing on your now-exposed skin melts instantly as you work to tie the piece of cloth around the bloody remnants of his leg in a desperate attempt to stop the bleeding. 

"Juuzou!" You call out cupping his face in your hands but he barely moves. You feel the ground shake beneath you as the Owl continues to prowl behind you, but you block out everything else as you reach out, taking his freezing hand in yours.

"I'm sorry. I'm so, so sorry. This wouldn't have happened if I had just stayed. They didn't need me there, I could've just..." you choke out unheard apologizes between sobs as the screams of other wounded sound from around you mixed with the echoes of explosions from all angles, and the maniacal cackles of the Owl, still lying in wait of a deadly battle behind you.

"Stitches, please!" You call out, raising your voice one last time as you try your best to wipe some of the blood away from his face. He was freezing. All of him. It was terrifying to finally see it. He always acts so strong and it's as if the rest of the world couldn't lay a finger on him but even so he was still only human.

It's silent for a moment before his figure stirs. You watch as his hand twitches within yours, a slight moan slipping between his pale lips.

"(Y/n)... chan?" You look down to see one red orb cracked open, his hazy gaze resting on you.

"Juuzou!" You smile, tears still staining your cheeks as you watch him. A smile appears on his face as his unfocused gaze finds you, his eyes seem to light up a bit despite his physical condition.

The lazy smile stays upon his lips until he registers the momentary warmth of something wet on his cheek. It was then that he realized you were crying. 

"(y/n)-chan? What's wrong? Why're you crying?" His voice rings through the crisp air like a bell, something prominent and yet somehow relaxing.