Chapter XV: Anteiku

"What do you mean half?" I ask, raising an eyebrow. 

      "She means that your anything but one eighth ghoul. You reek!" Nishiki says as I resist the urge to punch him for his comment and instead turn my attention to the coffee in my hand. 

       After a moment of silence, the old man spoke again. "My name is Yoshimura and, as you can probably tell, I am the manager of this place.

      I looked up at him, signaling for him to continue. 

     "Anteiku is not just a café. It's a place for humans to come and relax, but it's also a safe haven for ghouls." He explains, confirming my former suspicion.

     "Hmm, is that why the coffee's so good?" I joke, trying to lighten the slightly awkward tension in the room.

      Yoshimura chuckles before continuing. "So, if I may ask, what is your current field of employment?"

      I take a sip of my coffee before responding. "Well..." I hesitate before decided to tell him the truth. I mean, he already knowns that I'm a ghoul. 

     "Well actually, I'm an investigator working for the CCG." I inform him.

      The other two gasp (dramatically) while the corner of Yoshimura's lips curve downward slightly. "Well, I must admit, that was not what I was expecting."

     "But don't worry. I'm not going to report you or anything, I'm just curious on why you asked." I say. 

     "Well, do you have kagune?" Yoshimura titles his head slightly. 

     I shake my head. "I'm not supposed too, but I think that my eye can at least change." I gesture to my right eye, their voices flooding back into my mind.

      "It hasn't done so in a long time though." My voice trails off as I remember the last time it did. "Her eye... it changed!"  The look in their eyes, full of madness and sickening pride.

     I'm pulled out of my thoughts at the sound of Yoshimura's voice. "Well, then I've decided." I look up to see the three of them in a small circle as if they had just developed a game plan.

      "How would you like to work here?" my eyes widen and I lift an eyebrow at the offer. 

     "You could develop a schedule with the doves and you could have a part time job here. We could teach you how to use your kagune."

     'But I don't have a kagune.'  Even though I know for sure  that I don't have one, I still can't ignore the uneasiness that suddenly spawned in my stomach. I squeeze my fist repeatedly as I contemplate.

      I think about his offer before deciding to go with it. I'm not fully sure why, but this place did have an alluring charm and a peaceful aura. 

     "Alright, sure. But... I just said that I didn't have any kagune-" I start

     "Yes, I understand, but if your eye is able to change due to excessive amount of RC cells, then you must have some sort of kagune in you." He looks at me, his eyes never opening.

      Once again, I don't know why, but I feel like I can trust him. I suddenly remember L and how I felt when he originally took me in. I nod my head before I take my last sip of coffee. 

     "By the way, do you eat of human meat?" he asks me as I pull my jacket over my shoulders. 

     I shake my head, looking at the floor. " No. Never have."