The Streets

"RACERS TO THE STARTING LINE!" 

I watched as the many cars lined up for the down and back race. One of them should be me, but that is not to be. So instead I stand idely by picking out the flaws in every car and driver, every decision made that will cause them the race. One car I really picked apart. The red of the body seemed to shine as the town lights flickered and ebbed from neglection. The aerodynamics were flawless, the tires fair and finish near perfection. 

         "The only set back here would be the engine, or the driver." I said allowed. 

         "ON YOUR MARK!" The megaphone announced, "GET SET!" The cars revved their engines, showing off, and showing that their ready. I bent down, touching the rumbling ground, wishing I could be the one to win the race, to feel the center point of the mini earthquake that shook me to the very core. 

         "GOOOOO!" 

     They set off faster than the wind, the rumble leaving, dicepating into nothing as the bright lights of the racers turn into small specs. One racer released his extra juice to early and is now in last place, he doesn't see the opening to put him in third, and stays behind the eight in front of him. Taking first is a black camaro, with a lead of at least 50 paces, but that lead would soon disappear if the red one I favored took this turn to their advantage. They did. Not wanting to risk the possible dent in the endless black void, the camaro played it safe and took the outside, while the red beauty snook past on the inside, perfectly unharmed. Couldn't say the same fr the camaro as it lost traction and spun out. 

         "DARN IT! I bet everything on him!" 

         "Ever since that driver cam along we've had nothing but losses, I even had my cousin come from San Francisco too. You know he's known as the racing king there!" 

     The conversation continued and I got worried. Mentions of violence toward the driver arose, and the demolishing of the car. I could care less about the driver, people are beat up every day, but the car is one thing I can't let become a wreck. Someone put their heart and soul into that car, if someone ruins it, apart of them dies, I know. 

         "Hey, here comes the lucky winner." The word 'winner' was forced, and full of the venom one uses toward their worst enemy. 

As the infamous car rolled by, everyone tried to get a look inside, only to see the black void the tinted windows allowed us to see. I smiled as it rolled past, giving a small thumbs up so no one else saw, but the driver caught in his left side mirror. I guess he acknowledged me when he revved his engine. 

     The races ended with a simple viewing.  Many male drivers had their so-called 'muses' on the hood of their vehicles, most leaving very little to the imagination. I strolled past them quickly, coming up to my favorite, the red beauty. 

         "Heya beautiful," I swooned, thinking the driver to be gone, "You did wonderfully today. I heard some guys talking smack, they might put up a fight later." I then became a little self-conscious. 

         "Hey, if your in there, turn on your car." 

Nothing. I smiled, glad to be alone.  

         "I'll stay and make sure nothing happens to you. If I can't protect my love, I'll sure as hell protect someone else's." 

And stay I did. I waited,  patiently for the suspected mob, but I only got three idiotic boys.  

         "You there, you this guy's muse er something?" 

         "Do I look like a muse? Last I remembered, A muse in this part of town is someone overly pretty with low self esteem." 

         "Yeah, you're right. You're not pretty at all." 

         "And your the equivalent of a blob fish, ugly and belongs at the bottom of the ocean." 

The boy in the middle growled, his grip on the bat by his side tightening. They advanced, buckets in the hands of both lackeys. The smell of mud and oil coated my nostrils. 

         "Coat the both of 'em. No one else is here, and the driver's out already." 

So they got the driver first. Smart. But they should have beat me to the car. 

     As the boys got closer I readied myself for the onslaught of muck. No matter what this car will be unharmed. I don't care if they kill me in the process, this is someone's pride and joy. That was taken away from me, leaving an emptiness that will never be filled again, no one else will feel that emptiness and pain as long as I'm around. 

         "Do it." 

The barrage of mud and dirt made contact, but only with me. I jumped and slid, making sure to keep my eyes on the two throwing mud. When it ended, I wiped my eyes, stood up straight, and waited for the next round. 

         "Ha! I'll admit, you've got spirit, maybe I'll be merciful and make you my muse." 

         "Over my dead body." 

         "That can be arranged sweetheart.~" 

I ducked as the bat swung above my head. Instead of taking a down sweep afterward, hitting the car, the boy kept after me. That's when I judged him like a racer. Sweep down. sweep right. I reached for my left pocket, finding the miniature pistol. 

         "I know, what's a lady like me doing with a tiny pistol. Not very lady like. Well, I'm a racer too, and last I checked, not very many female racers are ladies." 

I looked into the eyes of each and every one of them. They knew I was being serious, to serious  for their liking. They simply walked away, taking the now empty buckets and bat with them. 

         "I'm sorry. Let me get that for you." 

I wiped the mud spot off with a tissue I stashed in my sock. It sounds weird, but it's saved my skin more than once. 

         "According to your finish, you're buffered right to left. I wonder if you're locked..." 

I checked the drivers side door. Locked. 

         "At least your driver was smart. If he... or she... doesn't come around I'll have to stay and make sure no one else tries anything." 

I kept my word, and stayed until the driver came. I assume he did, because I woke up in his car. Now I'm stuck wondering where I am.