The Bodyguard 01 - Wayo

"...and back here in the studio we have Minister Panitchayasawad to give us his view on the issue..."

Over the course of eleven months, life has been a series of life changing events. I am used to living a simple life together with my dad. After my mom passed away, it's been just the two of us.

It's not an easy life—what we went through. There were times of grieving and crying. The two of us worked together, helped and comforted each other, before he got to his current position.

I don't want to dwell on those things anymore. They were the necessary bumps we had to overcome in life because at the end of those obstacles, the good things await.

Now, the public looks up to my dad more like a celebrity than a politician. He brings himself with so much charisma and authority.

When he appears on public or accepts a dialogue with group leaders, he contributes reasonable arguments and sound judgement to issues that he can respond to with all sincerity and rationality.

While life is going graciously for my dad, it's a bit...bumpy...or tough...something like that, on my side.

We all have our demons to fight. Mine just happens to be quite literal. I'm not saying they're demons-demons. Nope. Nothing like that. It's just that they act like one.

Being a son of a celebrity, or in my case a famous and powerful politician, I was taught to expect many people looking and waiting for every mistake that I make. That even when I go to the convenience store, it will either be a fault or an issue or anything people want to think of.

It never occured to me that I will be facing the truth of this reality in this time.

My life used to be simple and enough, with my dad working in the office of public service. Then, things escalated quite swiftly from the years until eleven months ago, he was appointed Minister in the Ministry of Culture.

I am seriously not complaining. I love my dad and I know he loves me too. But he also loves the public. He feels so deeply for them that he is admired and loved by a lot of people.

For most, our life story is an inspiration; a pattern for the generations to come. We are looked up to.

Mostly. But not all.

If you would ask, what would make a Wayo Panitchayasawad bend? My answer will be—a lot of things.

I am not a perfect kid. I did have a very pimpled face before. My friends used to make fun of me because of them, but I didn't let it get to me that much.

I spent lots of time and effort, not money, on improving how I look. One year of agonizing and disciplining myself to be rid off of those clingy pimples.

Diet rearranging, daily facial care, adequate amount of water intake daily, enough sleep hours which exceeds most of the time. It's a tough feat, but I got my results.

My friends are sad because the pimples are gone. They used to trace and connect my pimples as if they're connecting dots in a children's book. Now that I have achieved a pimple-free face, they make fun of my squishy tummy now.

I sigh. Friends.

See? My life is also just as ordinary as you and other people. It just so happen that we worked harder than what is necessary. As long as the efforts we exert aren't in vain, we don't complain.

I am planning to go and bother one of my best friends this day. Park is being extra whiny because Suthee, another bestfriend, isn't answering his phone for two days now. I know the reason, but I already promised Suthee I won't tell Park. Our other bestfriend, Ming, is already there and is wrestling with Park just to keep him from whining any more than he's done.

"...Minister Panitchayasawad. We are very glad to have your attendance today. The things we will talk ab-"

I turn the television off. I already know what my dad will say. We have been discussing the issue for quite some time now and we agree on a certain conclusion already. Common politicians confide with their co-politicians for insights and views regarding an issue. That's where my dad differs. He works independently and is confiding with his son! No one knows that, fortunately.

I stand and turn to the door. I have to tell Mr. Ray that I will go to Park's house for the day, and he will accompany me as my personal bodyguard.

"Mr. Ray! Are you okay to go with me to Park's house? He's being a big baby today!~" I shout from inside my room as I begin rummaging my closet for something to wear.

"Yes, I am! I can go start the engine now. How long do I wait?" he shouts back.

"I'm going out now!~" I sing in a cringey high-noted falsetto. I hear a glass breaking from the bathroom. Oops!

"What's that noise, kiddo?" he asks, peeking from the door.

"Nothing!" I deny quickly, "Let's go? Ai'Park must be breaking Ming's neck by now." we laugh as we walk out and ride the car.

Mr. Ray is my personal bodyguard—fourteenth bodyguard, to be precise—who I prefer to be more of a friend or an older brother, rather some stiff, hoodlum-looking man-in-black. I also try to make him wear something less formal than his suit and something more comfortable, but he refuses. I already gave up trying.

He is a 28-year old man with a good reputation. He's a dad to two kids and a husband of three years to his wife. They are a nice family.

Mr. Ray drives down the road to Park's house, but I remember I have to carry snacks.

I always bring snacks with me to share everytime I go to my friends' house. But mostly, it's for me because I get hungry easily.

I haven't replenished my stocks at home yet, so I have to make a quick stop to a convenience store.

"Mr. Ray, can we pull over to buy some snacks on the way?" I ask politely.

I look out on the road, thinking about the days back when I can still walk outside without having to worry about my safety.

"No problem." he says curtly as he parks in front of a 7-Eleven. He quickly grabs an umbrella before opening the door for me. Don't take it wrong, the umbrella is not for the protection against the sun.

It's protection against...

To be continued...