Mates

"Why am I with her?" Brett hissed at Satomi. "She's human, why does she even stay with us?"

"You'll see." She muttered in response and motioned for him to follow you.

You both walked into the woods in silence, your coat was pulled around you as tightly as you could manage but the breeze still bit at your skin.

"Can Werewolves see in the dark?" You asked curiously when he stopped you from walking into a branch.

"Sort of, we can sense the stuff that's around us and make stuff out better than humans but it isn't really seeing like we do in the day." He muttered, frowning when you hummed, satisfied with the answer.

"What about the pack does it really make Satomi stronger?" You asked with the same curious tone and he smiled.

"Yes, it makes us stronger too but not as strong as a mate." He frowned when you stopped and edged forwards as it you thought the ground had dipped, lifting you back onto the path he'd been following.

"Mates?" You hummed quietly but he didn't answer, unsure if you were questioning his answer to him or yourself.

You walked for what felt like hours and knowing Brett it might well have been he, unlike everyone else in the pack, wasn't keen on taking it easy on you just because you were human.

"What're you doing?" He asked when you stopped suddenly and lent against a tree.

"I'm tired and my feet ache." You sighed, bracing your hands on your knees as you doubled over.

"Come here." He sighed as he crouched down in front of you and let you hop onto his back. "We still need to meet up with the McCall borders and patrol there... but we can head back after that." He started walking towards his intended goal, the scent of the pack well laid down.

"Are mates' werewolves?" You asked quietly, almost making him jump, you'd been quiet so long he assumed you'd fallen asleep.

"Not always, they can be anyone it just depends on the werewolf." He muttered softly, hearing the way your breathing was slow and that you were close to sleeping.

"How do you know if someone's your mate?" You yawned as soon as you'd finished talking and Brett hoisted you up a little further and pulled your arms to rest at his chest.

"You tell by the scent, they smell different from other people." He smiled when you rested your chin on his shoulder and nodded at Liam when he spotted him walking his own patrol, turning to finish his patrol before you fell asleep.

"But I thought everyone smelt differently." You sighed in confusion.

"They do but it's like how I smell like my shampoo and deodorant, you smell like yours but you have a different smell to other girls." He mumbled and suddenly came to a stop when he realised why Satomi had insisted he be paired with you.

"I don't smell bad do I?" you asked and he laughed, setting you down when he reached the place where everyone was gathering.

"No, you smell very good." He smiled as he watched you hurry over to your friends, chatting quietly.

"Do you understand why I've paired you?" Satomi asked Brett who sighed as he tore his gaze away from her.

"Why couldn't I tell until now?" He asked her, watching when she smiled knowingly.

"Werewolves do not always find their mate, some don't even know they've been close to them, the two of you together will be an asset to the pack." She smiled when his attention floated back to you.

"It doesn't feel how I thought it would." Brett admitted and she nodded.

"The bond will strengthen with the more time you spend together." She let him walk away, shuffling closer to you while attempting to look as if he was just engaging with the other wolves, rather than watching you.