Gathering forces

*After this chapter it may look like I am putting this story on hold but I promise that that is not happening. Instead I am going to write the next five chapters (the last five chapters) and post them with one day in between them. I am going to do this is because the end of the story approaching and doing it this way will keep the last five chapters with some sort of flow and suspense for those of you currently following the story. All that aside, on with the chapter...*

    All were sat around the main room of the Hall of Justice. J'onn... was dead? Everyone was here except for him and there was a pile of ash on the floor in a corridor. Everyone was perplexed. This didn't fit Barry and Caitlin's M.O.! They were desperate, sure, but with no easy access to fire they would just run past. They were desperate to leave, to be together. Not to fight.

KARA: "How is J'onn dead? This doesn't make sense. Barry and Caitlin wouldn't do this. Not in that state anyway."

OLIVER: "It's the most likely option. He tried to stop them in the corridor and they killed him to escape. It doesn't fit very well but I can't think of anything else."

KARA: "No it can't have been them. J'onn wasn't the only one to run into them during their escape. I did before him. And they haven't killed me. Surely if be easier to kill than J'onn."

CISCO: "Your right there. Barry could just phase a hand in your chest while to kill J'onn... I didn't know they could so it."

KARA: "Fire is his only weakness."

CISCO: "The only way the either of them could make fire using their powers would be if Barry struck him directly with a lightning bolt."

KARA: "And can he do that quickly?"

CISCO: "No. He's got to have a run up, and even then J'onn would see it coming and phase."

KARA: "Then that settles it. Barry and Caitlin didn't do this."

OLIVER: "How can you be so sure? I mean, we only have a little bit of evidence."

KARA: "Because underneath it all they're still people. Imagine how you would feel if you were in his position Oliver! If you were locked in a cell and you could see Felicity every day, but only talk through glass. For a month. With you having only had physical contact once in that time. You'd be desperate to leave! You'd be going mad! I could see it in them, they were literally going mad! I know they betrayed us but if you were in their situation wouldn't you do the same?"

    The room was silent for a minute as they took in all of what Kara said. She was right. Kara looked out at the faces of the people before her and spoke again.

KARA: "I'm not saying I agree with their methods, but I'm saying I understand them. I'm agreeing with how they felt, not how they acted upon it."

OLIVER: "Kara... how did they get past you? Like you said, they were desperate but that also means they were rash. If they weren't thinking clearly, how did they get past an invulnerable alien with superspeed?"

KARA: "Because it was the right thing to do. Like I said earlier, they're people. You could see it in their eyes, hear it in their words. They needed to leave. I bet you all want to tell me that Killer Frost isn't a person? Then why did she talk to me as Kara. Not from villain to hero, but from person to person, from friend to friend. Whether you like it or not they're just people. With the same needs as the rest of us. We brought them here to try and ' cure their brains '? We ended up taking the one thing that kept them same."

    "And don't say they didn't do anything for us. Caitlin was helping us the entire time she was here. Whether it was medical problems or tracking a criminal using something they left behind she did it."

FELICITY: "And when Thea was here with Mia she did a medical check up just by being given her. Like Kara has been saying, you could see it in her eyes. She cared for the child. She would never hurt a baby. That's too far for anyone to cross. But there was a strange look in her eyes as if... I don't know. It was almost love sick? Then she ran off without a word, suddenly happy!"

KARA: "That would make sense! That was early today right. She was finalizing whatever would get Barry's speed back. She ran off when she got a positive result through an earpiece hooked up to Gideon. Maybe there's more though... almost like -"

KARA and FELICITY: "-SHE WANTED IT TO BE HER'S AND BARRY'S!"

OLIVER: "Ok, you two can fangirl later but can we focus on finding two mass murderers first? Yes, we'll put them in the same cell, but we can't do anything if we can't find them."

TIMESKIP ONE DAY

VIBE: "I'm detecting a breach opening... And it's closed again."

GREEN ARROW: "So whoever killed J'onn and helped Barry and Caitlin has left. Now we just need a way to signal them maybe, instead of finding them."

    Cisco pulls out an interesting shaped arrow and a camera.

VIBE: "We need you to send a speech. I'll broadcast it and we can make sure that Barry and Caitlin see it. And this arrow if a firework. A signal."

GREEN ARROW: "That... is a brilliant plan, Cisco. We draw them out and finish this. For once and for all."

    After five minutes of set up, the camera was ready. The speech was heard around the city as a reassurance. There were people who believed in their freedom, and now everyone believed they deserved it. The words resonated with everyone in a way.

GREEN ARROW: "Hello. You know me as the Green Arrow. And while I usually stick to Star City I'm here because this is important. You spent time under the rule of two serial killers. The Dark Flash and Killer Frost. We've had them in our custody for the left four weeks but they've escaped. We advise all civilians who are within a three block radius of our signal to leave the area immediately and not to return until you have been assured by the authorities that it is safe. To the Dark Flash and Killer Frost, I say this: you'll know where to find us."

    Oliver aims his bow upwards and fires the firework arrow. Cisco turns off the camera. Oliver looks at the faces of the Justice League.

OLIVER: "Now, we wait."