Chapter 4: Intruder Alert

I reached home late when the sun had already made amends with the moon and retreated.

On my way back I'd taken the road we had been on earlier in the day, just to check the spot. Something in me worried about her still being there. 

But she wasn't, obviously.

I parked outside my house, her mustang - nowhere to be seen. Maybe whatever was in the packet wasn't as big a deal as I was making it out to be.

I finally took the pouch out of my pocket, it was a clear plastic baggie. I recognised it from my days back in New York- Weed.

I didn't open it though. 

If it was good stuff I would probably smoke it and Kea most likely knew by now that I had taken it. I didn't want her to have another reason to destroy me - not that she needed any more reasons than just the one. 

Either way, I put it back in my jeans.

I had been right though, that bastard was a dealer and by the looks of it, he had a thing for Kea. 

Why did I even care? Not that she was anything to me, she could do whatever or whoever she fucking wanted. 

I almost growled at the last part.

I was a little drunk. 

I had ridden straight to a club not far from town, where the owner was a friend and had a few beers.

Seven to be exact.

Then I hit on a girl in her mid 20's whose boyfriend was out of town for 'business '. We made out a little but the sight of Kea's riveting eyes refused to leave me. Her scent still somehow floating in the air.

The woman in the bar even mentioned it, how I smelled of green apple and rain. 

Well, rain! That was the other thing that I couldn't pinpoint. She smelled of green apple and rain.

By this time I was so consumed by Kea that I couldn't get myself to do anything further. The make-out alone had repulsed me. The woman was pretty but that wasn't it, I had hoped by kissing someone else I would forget how Kea's lips suddenly felt like the only way to remain sane.

How the sound of her racing heart had made mine skip a beat.

How her blown-out pupils pinned on me after I had simply brushed my lips against hers, made me want to haul her ass onto her bonnet and give her a proper kiss right then and there.

No wonder I had gone straight to a bar after what had happened, it was a miracle I wasn't sloshed.

Well, I might still be, but there was no one here to prove it.

How had I let this situation get so out of hand?

I just needed to avoid Kea for a couple of days and it was all going to be fine.

Yeah, that's what I'll do.

Just cut class with football or polo practice and not get detention.

Once I have everything in control I'll not need to avoid her anymore and maybe we could be civil.

How could I be this naive?

Did I really think Kea would let this go? She would carve my face like a Halloween pumpkin for what I had pulled with her. She really didn't seem like the kinda girl who'd just get let on the side of a road and ignore it, she was the kinda girl who was probably planning my murder in extravagant detail while she arranged her throwing knives.