Chapter 12: Troubled

Wilder

"Hey hey, look at me." I held Kea's face and urged her face up, "Take a deep breath... Can you do that for me?"

She was shaking violently,

And I had no idea what to do.

She had woken up in the middle of the night gasping, yelping like she was in pain. Her hands wrapped around her body like she was hugging herself.

Her eyes squeezed shut, like she was still stuck in the nightmare.

I held her face gently with both hands "Look at me babe, look here. Breathe, love. Can you do that for me?" she opened them slowly, her eyes glassy, eyelids melting close from exhaustion.

I wrapped my arms around her, the whole of her. I tried to engulf her and that seemed to work, her body gradually eased as she leaned into me.

I sat there with her snuggled in my arms as I stroke her hair and forehead till she fell asleep.

I wanted to know what was bothering her. 

What could scare the mighty Kea into getting nightmares this intense?

I was worried because I had never seen someone so terrified. And the last person I could have imagined having petrifying dreams was Kea.

I mean the woman gave nightmares, I didn't think she'd have them too.

But we all had our demons. 

And eventually I would make her feel safe enough to tell me.

But in this moment, having her in my arms sleeping peacefully was something else.

I liked protecting her, be it from nightmares or bastards in cafes and parties trying to get with her. 

I liked being there. 

I liked the validation of having the privilege to be part of her inner circle. 

Which was not something I had ever looked off- validation I mean.

Even though she didn't need the help or protection, she let go around me, even though I knew she was doing it unknowingly. But it was happening. 

..

The next morning I woke up alone, Kea was gone and I felt like a cheap one nightstand. If anyone could make me feel like a bargain deal, it was Kea.

I took my time in bed, I didn't like not having her in my arms when I woke up. Everything smelled like her, my pillow, sheets, room. The air around me was filled with the essence of rain.

No green apple.

I liked rain better anyway.

Goddammit.

I fell back in bed and squeezed my eyes shut. After moping for fifteen minutes, I took a quick shower and walked down to the kitchen.

There was a post-it note on the fridge.

"Cupcakes are muffins that believed in miracles."

Kea and light humour was not something you saw every day or even ever.

I left the post-it stuck to the fridge. It gave character to the otherwise plain surface.

I opened the fridge door smiling and found a huge glass of Vanilla milkshake inside with another note stuck to it. I took it out,

"Since I can't bake to save my life, maybe we could go to the coffee shop nearby and get doughnuts. I don't really like cupcakes. Till then, enjoy :)."

That one made me laugh.