Chapter 35: Dooms Day Recovery

Colin

A narration. Try and keep up.

After my conversation with Damian and Kea that day when Reyes came home with a broken nose, I told Reyes about Damian being Kea's old boyfriend and that they were together again. I told him just enough truth to keep him away from Kea because there was nothing left for him. I had urged him to come back to New York but he didn't listen. 

Even though he had seemed to have taken my advice because he hadn't mentioned Kea once in the past five weeks,  he always rode slow, when he passed her house, never glimpsing at it but nevertheless, acknowledging it.

Even in the parties, through all the boozing and drugs he looked at the door hoping she would come to one of them.

I flew or drove to New York for the weekdays and came back to stay with René for the weekends. When there wasn't any work in New York I stayed a little longer.

René had become the lost motherfucker he had been after his mom's death and I couldn't blame him. That was the way he dealt with things. Well, at least he wasn't drunk at school or popping pills or fucking in school, though to be honest, I wasn't sure about the last one.

Even though he wasn't doing the same things he used to do, he had completely shut down. 

No matter how bad things got, he always told me what was going on, he always told me how he was doing even if the answer was "I'm doing as well as a dog would do in heels." or some other example. He always checked in. Now all he ever did was whisper about her, drunk.

But this time even though he looked better, it somehow felt worse.

He went to practice, attended classes, got a different girl home every evening. I knew he didn't do anything with them because they all left embarrassed and angry and no girl had ever left René's room embarrassed or angry.

On the weekends he threw parties that always got out of hand. He only got drunk when he didn't have practice the next day, he always talked about her when he was drunk, alone and out of his mind.

So of course when Kea actually came to one of the parties, René secretly threw for her, I knew hell was gonna break loose and I was right. In the last twenty four hours, René had managed to drug Damian, kiss his girlfriend, punch Damian, break a bottle on the girl's window, woke up the neighbourhood in the middle of the night, professed his feelings, brought me home and brought a girl to his room. All this while I had been an accomplice to everything.

So when we came back from Kea's place it was already morning but Reyes had passed out the minute he had entered. Later I had peeked in his room to make sure he was still breathing. when I realised he was talking in his sleep, "Faye we would.......u..s....us- we could...." his voice trailed off.

So here I was once again a month and a half later in front of Kea Faye's house wanting... Well, I wasn't exactly sure what.

The last time I was here alone to talk to Kea, René was in the hospital from the fight with Damian.

I had walked here while René was in his bedroom with a new girl.

As I approached the house I heard loud voices from the open window above, it sounded like Kea and some guy, I backed away into the porch to see if I could get a view inside the scene going on above.

I knew it was wrong to snoop but René's sanity was on the line so I was beyond the point of really giving a fuck.

I would spy on them and follow them around if that meant I would find out a way to make it better for him.