Chapter 19: The trickster

Wilder

Colin walked the cops out then turned to me, "You weren't lying, were you? You love her."

Apart from me actually saying it out loud, I asked foolishly anyway, "Is it that obvious?" I tried to run my newly wrapped hand through my hair.

Boy, this was gonna take some serious getting used too.

"Well, seeing the state of the guy in the ICU. I'd say its pretty obvious. The René I know never lost his shit like this."

"The René you knew had never walked into the situation I did." My eyes burned. 

Colin put a hand on my shoulder and sat in the chair near my bed, "I'm so sorry man, I can't even imagine what that must have been like."

"I can't think about it."

"Well, at least the bastard got what he deserved. The officers said that he was going to get a psych evaluation which will determine whether he's going to jail or a mental institution both of which won't be easy considering it'll take months for him to even walk straight." Colin laughed.

I lay back in bed satisfied but a little in pain.

I was glad he was here, if anybody knew me and I mean really knew me. It was Colin.

He had flown here from New York just to see what had happened to me, I mean if that didn't show commitment I don't know what did.

The guy was my bitch.

Colin saw the leather jacket on the side of my bed, it belonged to Kea and inquired,

"How is Kea holding up after everything?"

"Pretty well, considering... everything. Until you showed up anyway."

"Yeah, She ran outta here like she had seen a ghost, to be honest, the Kea I knew wouldn't even be scared of that."

"Wow, she was always this hazardous huh?"

"Oh, you have no idea." Colin had his eyes on the jacket as he said that, longing in his eyes. Colin noticed my hand clutching the material protectively as he laughed "You have nothing to worry about- she's all yours. But I really would like to know what the fuck is going on."

"Get me out of here and I'll tell you on the way."

He smirked "Fine, I'll send the nurse in she'll fix you up till then I'll have a word with the billing department about the paperwork." 

We were ready to leave the pale white walls and hospital smell in the next half an hour.

I asked the nurse for some more tranquillising medication or injections while Colin was signing the paperwork but she refused to help me out. Whatever happened to the oath that all these people took to serve all the people in need. 

I was in serious need of some external strength to be able to talk to Kea.

We got in the car Colin was renting. 

Our dads were business friends, but unlike our fathers, our friendship wasn't being held together by an ulterior motive.

"Okay tell me now," Colin asked me halfway there.

"Remember the night I came from Rio, the night of the party you had thrown for Kea? Well, I met her there only I didn't know it was Kea until today. We were drunk - the loft was dark."

"Wait! That can't be right even if you didn't know who she was, she had to know who you were. I had told her about you."

"What's my name, Colin?"

"René."

"You call me that! You're the only person who knows that name. So Kea didn't either, she knew me as Reyes Wilder until you screamed it out in the hospital room of course." I gave him a look then continued, "Anyway it wasn't like I was hiding it or anything, it just never came up. I mean who's topic of discussion starts with or leads too hmm you seem nice, what's your middle name."

Colin burst out laughing .

"Great, I'm glad you find my misery entertaining." I punched him in the shoulder, and screamed from how bad that hurt, making him laugh even harder.

"Jesus Colin focus!"

"Alright, Alright go on Grumpy."

"Why didn't you guys exchange names like normal people?"

"Because even if she did tell me hers, though I doubt it, I wouldn't have remembered shit, I was high on a cocktail of coke, E and whiskey."

"God René!" Colin looked at me, shaking his head.

"So I was drugged up and I remember Kea being pretty intoxicated too so I offered her the happy pill."

That made Colin hit the brakes, sending me crashing into the dashboard only in time for the seatbelt to pull me back in place. 

Son of bitch that hurt.

He turned to me and screamed, "You gave Kea ecstasy? Dammit, René no wonder she's running away from you." He looked angry.

"Will you let me fucking finish?" I was loud enough to make him shut up, I understood why he was angry, it was stupid of me. 

I closed my eyes and blurted out the finishing detail to the fucked up beginning Kea and I had, had. "We slept together, I found her asleep in the bedroom the next morning, it was her first time, of course I didn't know that before...so I went to get her breakfast, figured it was the right thing to do. But when I came back she was gone. No note, no name. She had disappeared. I was hated it, I liked her even then. There was something about her even then that pulled at me." I shook my head I still couldn't believe Kea was the girl.

The girl that had gotten away.

I smiled, I was happy I'd found her, she had stopped coming in my dreams since I had seen Kea and now it made sense but this was my side and I still needed to know hers.

While I was cheerful, Colin had turned ghostly pale as he muttered looking at the road ahead, the car parked in front of Kea's house. "I would have never let you come here to this town. To her! If I knew this was what had happened."

I almost instantly turned towards Colin, my body stiff, "Wait What do you mean, let me?"

He went on rambling like I hadn't opened my mouth, "I thought she was charmed, not drugged. If I had known she didn't know what she was doing I wouldn't have led you to her."

"What the hell?"

But he seemed to be in a daze, oblivious to how crazy his words were sounding to me.

"Colin, my man what the fuck are you talking about?"

He corrected himself, clearing his throat, he spoke, "I knew you were contemplating moving to either your moms home town or this one, I pushed for you to choose this one because Kea was here, I pushed you into moving here because Kea needed you."

———————
Authors note:
I'm sorry I posted late I haven't been feeling well! But this book is a priority so I pulled my shit together and wrote you a chapter!
Lemme know what you think! :)

Reyes- I'll tell you what I think!

Author- sure why not.

Reyes- Everyone seems to have a say on how my life should go except me!

Author- It's always a choice now just be patient.