Chapter 25: Bearing all

Wilder

As I closed Kea's door, I saw Colin's car still parked opposite Kea's house. I walked over to it and saw Colin snuggled in the front seat.

My heart swelled at what he continued to do for me no matter what, he was in every sense of the word, my family.
The windows were rolled down so I bent forward and yelled. "You know you're just waiting to be robbed."
He woke up startled and banged his head on the roof of the car, pressing the horn and waking up everybody on the street that wasn't already up.
"For fucks sake Reyes, can you for once be normal."

I walked over and sat inside, "Now what's the fun in that."

He just shook his head hopelessly.

"Why didn't you go home?"

"I figured if Lucas did catch you trying to sneak into Kea's room I wouldn't want to miss you getting your ass kicked."

"Aren't you a peach"

"Oh, peach! don't you talk about food! I haven't eaten since my breakfast in New York and I'm guessing you haven't either."

"Yeah, some coffee would be great right about now."

We drove to a diner with the best waffles in town, I ordered coffee while Colin ordered; everything on the menu.

We spoke about Colin, his life in New York, his current girl, his work.

He was currently going around with a model named Ileana, it wasn't anything serious though, work was stressful as his responsibilities his dads company grew and his life otherwise was boring without me.

When the coffee came, my headache lessened and when the food came Colin's mouth and ears closed to conversation and opened only to eat. 

We sat in peace.

I didn't think about what was going to happen with Kea, I tried to keep my mind off of her and Lucas and how for the first time ever I was genuinely scared that this could possibly be the end.

"Oh by the way your dad called."

"Why?" The goddamn headache was back.

"He wanted to know if things had gotten out of hand and whether you needed his help or not."

"If he's trying to win father of the year tell him it might be eighteen years too late for that."

"He sounded worried and I hate to say this but I think you should call him."

The bandage on my left hand was irritating me so I unwrapped it.

Colin saw how much the idea of contacting the man was bothering me so he didn't push it further.

I didn't say anything, just sat there quietly. 

I didn't remember my father much, just a man that was never there. Someone who prioritised his business over family and eventually chose it over us entirely. He never flinched when I told him that I was moving here. He didn't even know when I had left.

When mom died he never came to see me, Colin took care of me, my father just called him to ask about me from now and then.

I didn't care if he was worried.
That meant nothing to me.

My phone beeped as I tapped on the cup signalling the waitress to pour me some more coffee. There was a text from a guy in my Polo Team; Danny, about a party at his place.

Maybe a party wasn't such a bad idea and I wanted Colin to loosen up. He had been babysitting me since he had arrived, he deserved to have a good time.

"You wanna go to an amateur high school party tonight?