Chapter 42: Just a little while longer

Wilder

That was the last entry in the diary and months had passed since.

I was halfway through the living room when Colin stopped me, "Whoa whoa! Where do you think you're going?"

"I need to see Kea." 

"Yeah, you will... at the game.. which starts in less than an hour so you better get your shit together."

"Oh fuck, I almost forgot about that."

"Clearly, now go get your stuff, you can change in the locker room."

I couldn't argue with that because technically I should have been with the team an hour ago.

I ran to my room and left for the match.

I guess I would have to keep all the Kea stuff on hold till the end of the game, which I wouldn't get to play if I didn't reach in time.

..

Faye

I knew I was making a huge mistake by coming to the game but that didn't stop me, here I was in the middle of the crowd, on the stands watching the boys huddle up. Trying to get a glimpse of the boy that finally wanted nothing to do with me. 

And that's what needed to happen right? 

That way it was simpler.

I should've never come but now that I was here I should've done the right thing and left but I couldn't take my eyes off him.

Just a little while longer. 

I keep assuring myself.

The good thing was- in all this crowd I didn't need to pretend anymore. I could smile at the sight of him and cheer for him and celebrate his victory and no one would care or notice. This way I could belong to him without eyes.

No Damian to hide from, no Reyes to lie too, no Colin to fool.

I was free to feel.

The boys scattered on the field and the game started.

Players crashing into each other, huddling, scoring.
The crowd roared and I roared with them.

Reyes was on fire, pure beast.

Everybody chanted his name and I proudly chanted along.

Halfway through the game, my phone buzzed.

Damian:

I thought I told you to stay away from him.

I shuddered, realising he was here. I didn't want to look away from Reyes but I had to, I looked around the stands for Damian, failing to find him. I made the next best decision. To leave.

I was in such a hurry I missed the second last step on the stands and just as I was about to fall on my face, two hands tied around my waist and held me in place. 

Hoping the person I was chanting for a few minutes ago was magically the person who saved me but when I looked straight, there in the middle of the field was Reyes. 

Knowing now, who held me close, I wished I had just slipped. And like telepathy Reyes's death stare locked on Damian's hands around me.

I ignored the butterflies at the thought that Reyes had known where I was all along. 

Because as he stared at me, he had forgotten where he was- on the field distracted with the damn ball in his hand. 

A bunch of guys came charging at him and tackled him to the ground but his eyes remained on me as he crashed into the grass. Damian's hands were still wrapped around me until I broke free when I realised that I was the reason Reyes was lying hurt on the ground. 

But he got up, without breaking his hypnotic gaze, he threw the ball at his team mate and started running towards me.

The entire ground became quiet. The referee couldn't understand and gave a time out while he looked questionably at the coach who seemed equally confused.

Everyone's eyes were on Reyes, he slowed down as he drew closer to me. The game ball; forgotten as the opposition looked at each other for answers but seemed to find none. His own team members couldn't understand what the fuck was happening.

Why Reyes was running towards the stands mid-game while they still had points to score to come in the lead and he was so close to covering it.

Hell! I didn't understand what was happening. 

But as he got to me I blurted out, "I was just leaving I so sorry I didn't mean for you to get tackled like that." But before I could turn to actually leave.

He caught me by my hand and walked me to his team's bench area on the ground where the substitutes, medic and at this very moment a fuming coach were.

Damian left behind and weirdly this time, he didn't follow.

"What the hell was that Wilder? You lost your damn mind? I should bench you for that."

"I know I'm sorry I just had to do this. Please let me get back in there."

The coach gave a frustrated nod and handed him a bottle of water.

Reyes took a sip and threw the bottle on the side, as he walked into the field he turned to the coach and said, "Just while I'm in there, keep her here."

"I'm not gonna babysit your girlfriend while you get your ass kicked in there!" He yelled.

"As long as she's here I assure you I'll do the ass-kicking."

He looked at his coach while the entire field waited for him to resume the fucking game.

"So?" he looked at his coach expectantly, knowing full well, he was stretching the limits.

"Alright alright, I'll keep her here, just go and win the bloody game."

Reyes smirked, "Yes Sir"

He gave me one last winding look, winked and then ran towards his team at line up.

The coach pinned me a hard look and I sat down, watching the game. 

I had never seen someone move with that much skill in the field before, within minutes everyone on the stands was chanting his name again.

The cheerleaders created cheers rhyming with his name.

And just like he promised the coach, he delivered the winning point and the entire school roared in victory. The coach looked over at me, the happiest I'd ever seen the man, "You really must be his lucky charm, though I doubt the way he played today had anything to do with luck, just the right motivation I think."

He jogged to his team to celebrate a victory he had wanted for five long years.

The game was over and for whatever reason Reyes wanted me here- would have to wait because I had to get ready for the homecoming dance and get my place ready for the after-party. 

Not to forget; figure out a way to reason with Damian, who had left, visibly pissed. I groaned at the thought. 

The people from the stands ran onto the field to celebrate with the team and I made my way to the locker room stairs that led to the parking lot.