Chapter 44: Masquerade on bourbon street

Wilder

The minute I entered my house Colin hugged me and put a bottle of whiskey to my lips, draining a monumental amount down my throat.

I took a deep breath and looked around, coughing. Colin was having a pre-dance party of his own. His date sat prettily on the couch, though she wasn't the typical hot model type Colin usually went for, this was a happy change for him. Along with her, a couple of other people sat littered in the living room. A few guys from my team; their dates.

I smiled at Colin's date, ignoring everyone else, I pulled Colin into the kitchen, "I have to talk to you about something important."

"Can it wait? My date is giving me dirty looks."

"I said it was important for a reason Davis, otherwise when have I ever come between you and a possible hook up."

Colin looked at me for a second then coughed, "Alright then I'll get rid of these people."

"There's no need, lets just go up."

Once Colin and I were alone in my room I noticed that he was dressed in a blue suit- now Colin and I weren't the kind of guys that wore suits very often, especially for school dances.

"You look like a moron."

"What? This?" He gave me a classic party guy twirl, "The girl I'm going with is pretty cool you know, she deserves the whole thing."

I gave him a smile before remembering the reason I had us locked in my room.

"Hey, Colin, how well do you know the law?"

"I work in publishing René, I know nothing about law except the ones you have broken or the few we have broken together ."

There was a comical silence in the room when he asked, "What are you planning?"

"How do you feel about blackmailing someone?"

"How's ANYONE supposed to feel about blackmailing someone?"

"So you're in then." I smirked.

"Well, obviously." He smiled smugly, "Who is the poor bastard?"

"Damian."

With that Colin's smug smile intensified, "Oh I've been waiting for this."

After I told Colin what my plan was, he went to his date. Leaving me to get ready for the dance.

I had wanted to ask Kea to this, long before all the shit happened, but Colin still got me a suit cause if I was gonna win her back I better look dapper doing it.

It was a classic black suit with a black shirt instead of white.

Colin really did want me to look like the Devil.

...

We were getting late and the package still hadn't reached me, I called and told Mark to bring it to the dance; with that, we left.

The Jaguar outside Kea's house made me want to get down and get it all over with right there but we still needed the evidence to finish him once and for all.

When we arrived I realised how the homecoming dance at this school seemed almost as formal as the prom would be.

The dance was called "Masquerade on bourbon street"

Pretty sweet name and quite apt as well, since both Colin and I were full of bourbon.

We were all given masks as we entered and then we were part of the crowd, the girls were in short dresses and it seemed everyone had practised the pre-party boozing tradition.

There was this sense of importance granted by tradition: the iconic outline of the elections for the homecoming king and queen and the game we had just won. People stood at the entry for official yearbook photos and made memories that they would remember forever.

I had missed the pep rally before the game because I was too consumed by Kea's diary, but I heard she was there being Damian's arm candy.

I swear to God if Damian and Kea became king and queen...

I almost growled.

I didn't care who won, as long as it wasn't Damian.

My phone beeped and I smiled involuntarily because Mark was outside with the package that held Damian's end.

Just as I took my mask off and walked out, fate decided to do me dirty because Kea got out of Damian's car and everything else WENT TO SHIT.

She was wearing a deep blue short dress that hung on her loosely, her lips a dark red and eyes perfectly smoky. I had never seen her in heels before.

She was taller than most girls around her and she was without a doubt the most beautiful.

If I wasn't already so in love with her I would have been now because even through everything she had managed to restore my faith in angels. Because she couldn't possibly be the work of mere mortals.

Oh yes, she was a wicked little angel with the Devil in love with her.

I caught her attention as I took the papers from Mark, my mind quite evidently on her.

I smiled at her in awe, in admiration of how stunning she looked and she laughed a little.

THAT LITTLE LAUGH.

KILLED ME.

It undid everything inside me.

It was so fucking beautiful, so innocent, so pure, it put the prettiest of things to shame.

I realised then.

How I would commit murder to hear that laugh every day.

As I watched her walk inside, I shook my head, paid Mark for his services and took the papers out. 

I read everything as thoroughly as I could and walked to Colin who was waiting near the Photo Booth before the dance area, still reading the papers when he asked, "So do we have anything? If not I know a hitman that can be here in an hour and nobody will find out."

"Colin." I said as I put my hand on his shoulder, "Your commitment to me is a terrifying yet spectacular thing and as much as I like the hitman idea we wouldn't be needing it." I smiled.

"We got him?" He grinned.

"We got him." I said laughing as we put on our masks and walked into what would be the best night of our lives. 

.-.-.

This is an appreciation post for everyone that has been reading this book. 

This book started out as a fun activity that but you guys made it so much more. The love I've received from the Wattpad community is just overwhelming. So thank you, everyone, that believed that Breaking Walls was worth pursuing.