Chapter 17: Reminiscing

Faye

I would've gotten out of there sooner but my feet refused to move as if they were glued in place but when Colin went on to explain the whole party thing to Reyes or should I say René I freaked out.

And now I felt completely numb, I hated watching him sprawl on the floor fighting to get to me but in that moment I had a choice. I could have stopped and let myself break down in front of him or get away and spear him the horror and guilt of what that night so long ago had done to me.

So I ran out of the hospital and into my car and drove to a place I hadn't willingly wanted to go for a very long time.

And now that I was all alone, I gave myself the chance to think back to how it had all started.

I had met Colin during an internship last summer. He was interning with me. Well, not so much as interning as just learning to take over, his dad's company, one of the best publishing houses in America. 

It was a month-long thing and Colin and I, hit it off from the beginning, we spent most of the time after work, together. He was the one who introduced me to what he liked to call his friends; pot and booze and then later René.

But to be honest he never really introduced us, we had just found each other, like magnets. I don't think anyone could stage or prevent it. It was magnetic and now I know why being with Reyes felt so comfortable.

I shook my head, what the fuck was wrong with me? Was I really going soft after all that had happened?

No fucking way.

Anyway, so we spent every evening getting high and drunk and listening to good music and chilling with other friends of Colin at his loft. He was a few years older to me , but we thought alike. We liked the same books and movies and it was nice having found a friend in him.

On my last day, I had no place to crash because I had to vacate my room a day early so Colin had insisted that I stay with him and I had accepted.

To my surprise when I reached Colin's loft that evening after my last day at work with my stuff, he had put together a farewell party for me.

In the time I'd known Colin, he had never thrown a party and I was truly awed by the sentiment. He was an amazing guy and an even better friend.

I was leaving the next day and since Lucas had demanded to come pick me up, he was at the party too. He was staying at a hotel nearby.

Lucas was hitting it off with a pretty brunette. They left soon after that and he texted me later telling me to meet him for lunch at his hotel after which we could leave.. I was glad he was having fun. 

I didn't say it often enough but he deserved the world. We had been friends since we were four when I was making him eat wet mud in his backyard. Our parents had been friends since they were our age. Even though it didn't seem like it, Lucas was one of the few people I really cared about.

Back at the party where things were going great, Colin kept circling back to me and this time he handed me a glass of vodka squash with some kind of variation, he was proud of.

Colin and I were the kind of friends that didn't bullshit, our conversations were always something I learned from. Like about the last book we read or the painting on the wall or the people we'd noticed, our experiences and views.

I knew almost everyone at the party, they were all people I had met through Colin over the month but I was yet to meet Colin's one true love René.

First, when I'd heard the name I thought it was a girl but by the second time he had mentioned René, I'd realised it was a guy.

Even though I had heard about the notorious René, non stop for the past month, I still hadn't had a chance to meet him.

The guy that Colin, who was a man of very few words himself couldn't stop talking about.

The infamous René had done everything from getting arrested to expelled to thrown outta his own house but Colin loved René like a brother in spite of his recklessness.

In a world where he didn't even like a lot of things let alone love.

Of course, I wasn't expecting him to show up when he hadn't come the past month. Colin had mentioned that René was having some issues with his father so he didn't stay in town much.

Colin lined up shots for us and since it was my last night, I was planning to go hard. 

And that's when René decided to show up.

Now that I think of it.

He always has had impeccable timing.

The loft was lit with one lamp, only enough to see the silhouettes of people. So all I ever got of René was a shadow.

"You have the most beckoning pair of eyes I've ever seen." It was a line, but it worked. 

"And you must be René." I stated casually, trying to hide how drunk I was and failing miserably. The room was dark but I could feel his gaze pierce into me.

"You want to have fun, girl in the orange overcoat?" He was right I was wearing an orange coat that seemed to be the only thing that differentiated me from the other outlines in the room.

I was too drunk to care what he meant by it, I knew already whatever it was, in that moment, I was up for anything.

He simply took my hand and placed a tiny pill on my palm as he came close and whispered into my ear, his lips touched my skin making goosebumps break out all over "This is what they call the happy pill."

I swallowed it with the glass of vodka Colin had previously handed me.

They said you should never mix alcohol and pills together.

I never got why until I did.

It took a total of fifteen minutes for me to lose absolute control over reality.

..

I reached Lucas's house and looked at it, enough reminiscing. I needed to talk to Lucas.

_______________

AUTHOR'S NOTE:

I always tell you guys how important it is to interact. Let's do that more often. I want to know how I can improve and that will only happen if YOU tell me what can be better.

Reyes- Well, I for one will feel much better if you stop making Kea run to Lucas instead of me. That would be great thank you very much.

Author- Okay maybe next time cool?

Reyes- fine then I'll say the line next time too.
Author- fine drama Queen.
Please Vote, Comment, Share, Follow.

Thank you.