Chapter 6: Losing Control

Wilder

I had avoided kea the entire week and it had been anything but easy. 

Her constant presence didn't make it any better.

She seemed to be everywhere; the field, parking lot, class and when I tried to cut class cause I couldn't take being around her anymore, I got detention.
Wherever I went she was there before me. 

I could tell, she was trying to avoid me just as much. 

But it just couldn't be helped. 

For the past few months, I had tried so hard to be around her, our schedules were intertwined, it was bound to bite me in the ass.

But despite that, we managed to keep a safe distance from one another.

Until this damned night.

It was another weekend house party and I only came because I needed the distraction. I knew Kea wouldn't be here, she hardly ever came to these. Plus this one was at Lucas's house and Kea avoided Lucas like the plague.
So it was safe here.
Or so I thought.
It was a normal party, nothing too out of the ordinary, unlike New York people here were quite tame. 

It was a welcome change. 

I was near the patio when I heard Lucas roar from the doorway, when I turned to see what the blowout was about, I was fucked by the fickle finger of fate - because a very drunk Lucas had his arm around a very disinterested Kea. Who looked like she would rather be held hostage somewhere than be here.

Which right about now looked the same.

She looked at me and I could see her expression soften but it died out as soon as Lucas pulled her away.
I watched them, not liking the moron controlling her, not understanding why she was letting him.
They went up the stairs and into a room and after waiting for a while I couldn't take it anymore. I went up the stairs and entered the dimly lit room to find a bunch of people getting high. 

I could do with some bong rips right about now.
Kea was sitting on the bed near the circle of people who looked pretty comfortable in their dazed states. A few of them were taken aback to see me there but then went back to their turn on the bong.
Except; Kea, her eyes were still on me. Her expression, unreadable.
She moved her hand over the space beside her as a gesture for me to come over.
And for two seconds I contemplated how good an idea of us together on a bed would be considering the last time we didn't even need the bed.
And against my better judgement, I walked over and sat next to her anyway. Lucas was on the other side crushing some more pot.
I turned to her "Why are you here?"
"Geez don't be so happy to see me."
Great whenever I wanted answers she decided to be all fun and games.
But I wasn't in a mood to back down.
"You hate Lucas, Kea. And now you're acting like best friends, you can't expect me to think everything's okay."
She didn't speak,  just kept looking straight, not a hint of emotion.
I got closer to her, whispering, "What does he have on you?"
That got her attention.
Obviously.
"Why is it so hard for you to believe that I'm just being nice without it having to do with people blackmailing me."
She sounded hurt by the end there.
Hurt, yeah right?
I must be imagining it.
"I know you can be nice Kea I've seen it in the tiny things you do. It's not that I don't believe you can be nice- it's the fact that you choose to be nice to a guy who has done nothing to deserve it." I was surprised at how heavy the statement I had made was. How I had admitted to noticing her.