Chapter 36: I Should've Stayed In Bed

Wilder

I hadn't spoken to Colin ever since he became all chirpy this morning after his walk. I just dodged him and slept in after practice.

Because of the whole injury, I had to practice twice as hard even on weekends. Most of the season was done with except the match that meant the most. 

So my whole plan to fuck off to an island with Colin had to wait until after this weekend but we made do with what we could. 

The homecoming match was in less than a week on Halloween. 

The pressure was really on because this was the most important match of the season and we had barely qualified. The team was struggling a bit and the entire town (Kea) was gonna be on the stands to watch. The coach had chosen me as the Captain and Lucas as the Vice-Captain. Honestly I hadn't expected it but I had worked hard for it. 

Lucas and I, had put our differences aside which helped with our game. I had to sit out for most of the matches but once I got on, Lucas and I made for a deadly combo. He was a decent guy and I guess I never really saw that because I was always so confused about his feelings or place in Kea's life but then I recently found out he had started dating the head cheerleader of our school and decided to let go of the past.

The school dance was sometime after the game, though I wasn't planning on going.

I didn't need to get reminded of exactly how much of a couple Damian and Kea really were when they would be crowned King and Queen or whatever the fuck they did here

There was a party at my place for the whole team to relax and blow off some steam a few days before the big day.

Once again I had decided not to see Kea and this time I was gonna stick to it because this week was important for me and I needed to stay focused.

I slept through most of the day, mostly cause of the mental exhaustion from the whole speech at Kea's place the night before.

..

When I woke up it was already time for the party, I hadn't invited Kea for this one because I decided it was time I stopped bothering her.

For her sake and my own.

Once the sky turned orange, people walked through the door in groups and pairs with bottles of booze in their hands, shouting, fist-bumping and high five-ing everyone they met.

Though I couldn't help but glance at the door every time it opened, hoping she would drop by just for the heck of it, I soon got busy with the team, making sure everyone was having a good time. I kept myself occupied by playing host because I had decided not to drink, lest I find myself at Kea's door again. Now, I could only do it so many times before it became absolutely pathetic.

Which it already was but why stretch it?

So when I was in the living room sipping onto the only beer I had allowed myself to have, the door opened and Lucas entered. I went over to greet him and as though a moth drawn to the flame, Kea walked in from behind him.

I took a step back but then decided to be civil about it. Since I was completely sober I could pretend- without the fear of showing any real emotion.

I greeted her and walked them both in as enthusiastically as was necessary, keeping in mind the spirit of the homecoming game.

I let myself glance at her just for a few seconds, she was wearing an oversized hoodie as a short dress and boots, her body seemed more relaxed with Lucas around then it was whenever she was with Damian.