Chapter 9. New York

Seth was sitting across from me at the table, looking frustrated but I wasn't backing down.

"He'll be back before you realize it, you know how Dean is." He pointed out, making me shake my head.

"I'm not going to dinner with my family when Dean hasn't called or texted any of us. Usually he texts at least." I shot back, Roman looking at the two of us over the couch.

"Lila this is important..." Seth groaned.

"And Dean isn't?" I questioned, raising an eyebrow.

"Of course he is but this is a big loss for him. He just needs to go blow off steam. I'm done arguing. We're going to dinner." Seth grumbled, his patience wearing out as he stood up, walking into our bedroom.

"No we're not." I shook my head, throwing myself back against he back of the chair, glaring out the window.

"Lila, this is Dean we're talking about. He's done this a million times before, so why is it such a big deal now?" Roman asked, head resting on his arm on the back of the couch.

Staring out the window I was ready to give some excuse but Roman's words from the other night floated through my head. If I was ever to gain his trust back I would have to start being completely honest with him.

"I'm afraid of what my dad is going to say. The last time I saw him I was asking him if I should date Seth and now I'm going to tell him I'm marrying him. I don't know what's going to happen." I admitted, hearing Roman get up, moving into the chair across from me.

"The thing about this is that it's your choice. You decide who you want to marry and to hell with everyone else." Roman said firmly, making me look up at him, "So maybe they get upset, make a scene but the person you're walking out of there with still loves you. I think in the end that's all that matters."

"I never was any good at pleasing my parents." I sighed, glancing down at the ring sitting on my finger.

"No you weren't so don't start worrying about it now. You obviously think this is the right choice otherwise you wouldn't have said yes." Roman pointed out, sliding his hand across the table, palm up, "Go get dressed, get in that car with Seth and tell your Dad that you're marrying Seth. If it doesn't go well I'll be here, waiting."

Setting my hand on Roman's he squeezed it gently, looking at me with that familiar comforting gaze he used to. Holding his hand tightly I leaned in, seeing him watching me.

"Once this fiasco is done I promise I'll fix everything. With you and with Dean and with Seth. No more lies. I swear." I promised, feeling him squeeze my hand before letting go.

Getting up I walked into the bedroom, Seth buttoning up his black dress shirt, obviously taking great care in his appearance tonight. Moving to the closet I reached in the back, looking for something to wear. The silence in the room was deafening as I pulled out a dress, satisfied with the choice. Stripping off my clothes I pulled the cream colored dress on, the mid length sleeves tight against my arms, and the back dipping low.

"I'm sorry." I said softly, pulling my hair back, quickly tucking and pinning random sections till it looked neat.

"So am I. Look, I'm scared too. This is a big deal for me. I always thought I would ask the girls dad for permission and plan a big elaborate proposal but things went differently then I thought. Now I have to win him over here." Seth murmured, glancing over his shoulder at me.

"Be thankful you're getting the easy parent." I muttered, putting on a pair of pearl drop earrings, swiping a pale lipstick over my lips.

"Your moms worse?" he questioned, pulling his blazer on.