Chapter 52. It May or May Not

That hospital smell was something I associated now with incredibly good and incredibly bad things. It reminded me of being there with Jojo, looking down at her face, a brand new face the world had to see. But now it would forever remind me of where my career might possibly go down the drain. Being loaded into the ambulance Dean and Roman's stoic faces were burned into my retinas, the last thing I saw before they shut the doors. I knew they wouldn't be too far behind but as the doctors and nurses swarmed me I knew they would be in for a long wait. Being in x-ray I attempted to ignore the sympathetic looks I was getting from the staff, laying there as the machine clicked a million times. Putting the neck brace back on I was shifted picked up and placed back on the bed and wheeled out. Watching the lumps at the end of the bed I tried to wiggle my toes, seeing nothing and that fear came back full force. It was a terrifying feeling, attempting to move them but seeing nothing happening. It made me want to scream till my lungs bled but instead I just shut my eyes.

"The doctors will look at your x-rays and come discuss your condition as soon as they're done. Until then just rest." The nurse explained, and I gave her a thumbs up, the best I could muster.

Laying there I found my gaze being drawn back down to my feet. Willing them to move I strained till I felt a headache form and I sank back down into the pillows. A loud ringing interrupted my attempts and I saw the phone light up next to the bed. I was thankful for any kind of distraction as I reached out for it, picking it up with the tips of my fingers.

"Hello?" I answered, sounding slightly muffled.

"What the hell happened October? Are you alright?" I heard my panic stricken brother ask, his voice full of anxiety, "The hospital called and said you had an accident at work."

Closing my eyes I pressed my lips together, fighting the tears that were threatening to well up. I had no idea his voice was the one I needed to hear until that moment. For once I actually felt like the younger sister and I needed my brother more then anything at the moment.

"It's bad Jax." I murmured, voice cracking as I heard his sharp intake of breath, "I landed wrong in the ring...and it's bad."

"How bad is bad?" he asked, his voice quieter then I had ever heard it.

"I can't move my legs Jax." I whispered, the silence from the other side killing me, "I'm scared..."

"I'll be there in 3 hours." He promised, hanging up the phone before I had a chance to argue with him.

Setting the phone back on the receiver I settled back against the bed. Listening to the second hand tick away I was about the go nuts when I heard heavy footsteps coming down the hall, the door slightly open. It was kinda of scary how well I knew the boys, recognizing the way they walked. The door creaked open, Dean's curls popping in first. Every single harsh word from the argument before melted away and I was happier to see him then I had ever been. Roman was next, barely able to meet my gaze as he shut the door behind him. Dean had moved quickly, pulling the chair close to the side of my bed, picking up the hand the was laying there.

"What's the verdict?" Dean questioned, his voice sounding loud compared to the earlier silence.

"Doctors haven't come in yet." I murmured, the neck brace already driving me nuts, "I just got back from x-rays and Jax is on his way. Should be here in a couple hours."

"Is it bad?" Roman asked, then shaking his head, "What am I saying of course it is."

"You know your own body Lila..." Dean pointed out, making me close my eyes.