Chapter 14. That's What Loving You Is About

Instead of saying goodbye to everyone I wrote a letter, leaving it with Seth and left the bus early. By the time they woke I was in North Carolina, dealing with some angry texts and ignored phone calls. Checking into the rehab I got my schedule and headed out to Cameron, not needing to be there till the next day as my shoulder was still slightly swollen. The drive wasn't long, only about half an hour but as I pulled in I felt a touch apprehensive, wondering if I would be the only one in the house. Grabbing my bag I held the key in my hand, heading towards the door. Opening it I pushed it open and pressed the keycode into the pad by the door.

"Hello?" I called out, waiting for a few moments to see if anyone called back, relief filling me when all i heard back was silence.

Thanking my lucky stars I walked to my room, smiling when I saw everything exactly as I left it. Putting all my clothes away I sent a few texts, soothing the anger at my abrupt departure. Plugging the phone in I sat on the bed, deciding on what I was going to do next when I heard the door open, my blood freezing. Knowing I was screwed now I stood up, walking out of the room. MY feet were quiet on the hardwood floor as I made my way through the house, stopping as I caught sight of him. It had been months since I saw him in Vegas but seeing him felt like the first time in years. Clearing my throat softly I watched him jump, not moving an inch after that.

"I won't be here during the days while I am here." I began, knowing how he was feeling, "I'll basically only be here to sleep and shower. We can even time it so you don't have to see me walking in if that'll help."

There was silence all through the house and I stood there awkwardly, feeling slightly vulnerable with my arm in its sling. Shifting side to side I waited as he turned slowly until those green eyes were visible to me. I watched them flicker to my arm, immediate worry flaring up, making them even brighter.

"What did you go and do now?" he asked, moving around the island.

"Pulled when I should have pushed. I need rehab before they'll even think about clearing me and apparently the best place for that is here." I frowned, holding out my arm slightly, "I didn't think to check if you were here, I'm sorry."

"What did you say on the phone?" Jeff pondered out loud, a trace of humour in his voice, "We'll leave it up to fate?"

"IF we run into each other, it's fate." I grinned, watching as he walked closer, stopping directly in front of me, "It's not really running into each other if I'm in your house."

"Our house. I think it counts." He drawled softly, staring down at me, "Are you okay?"

He reached out for me for the first time in a long time, his hand holding my bad arm with the gentlest touch. Swallowing harshly I blinked, feeling the burning in my eyes but I forced them back down, not wanting to break just yet.

"IT's bad but it could be worse. Things could always be worse ya know?" I laughed weakly, the tremor in my voice making me sound even more pitiful.

With the softest touch Jeff put his arms around me, being extra careful not to put any weight or pressure on the bad side of me. Using the one hand I had I wrapped it around his waist, burying my face in his chest. There was so much that I wanted to talk to him about, that I needed to explain but all I could do was stand there, letting him hold me up. It was a long time before either of us moved and if the wet spot on his shirt where my face was bothered him he never said anything about it.

Moving the but of food around my plate I avoided looking up at Jeff, wondering if he was going to bring up any of our unresolved issues but as I glanced up he was concentrating on his own plate. Setting the fork down I grabbed my plate, bringing it to the sink after scrapping off the rest of the food.