Chapter 16. Roman's Secret

Driving back to the ranch from rehab with a ridiculous grin on my face I flexed my arm on the steering wheel, thankful that with all the work I put into it, it was back to normal. All I had to do was see the doctor and get cleared and I was ready to get back to work, which I had been missing out on. Watching on the TV was torture as Evolution came back at the team full force, knowing I was sitting on the sidelines. Once I got back I was prepared to give them a taste of their own medicine, steering Jeff's truck down his lane, gravel flying slightly as I braked to a stop. Getting out I grabbed my purse, locking the truck as I strode across the concrete, walking inside the cool house.

"Jeffrey! I'm home!" I called out, throwing the keys in the bowl and my purse on the island, looking around, "I know you're here. I swear if you have that damn nerf gun..."

My voice trailed off as I finally noticed the bags siting near the island, recognizing Jeff's paint bag and the bulging suitcase on the bottom. Hearing footsteps he came out from the hallway, dressed in jeans, one of his white shirts and a sweater, obviously ready to travel with his beanie on his head.

"Doc cleared me today and they want me for the show tomorrow." He said nearly apologetically.

"This is great!" I exclaimed, walking over and hugging him tightly, "I just got to get my doctors note and I'm heading back Monday too."

"I didn't want to just run out on you like this but my flight is this afternoon." He muttered in my ear, arms wrapped around me tightly as he rocked side to side, "I was hoping we'd have time for dinner or something before I left."

"This is our life Jeff, we see each other for a few days and spend months apart. Our friendship is built to last." I reassured him, leaning back to look up at him, "I'm always a phone call away or a text."

"I know. I just...I was having a really great time with you. I just sometimes hate when we leave we never know when we're gonna see each other again." He said softly, staring down at me with those mesmerizing green eyes, "I'm gonna miss ya."

"Im gonna miss you too Jeff but you're gonna miss your flight too." I pointed out, making him cuss softly before letting me go.

Watching him get ready I felt a pang of sadness, understanding what he was feeling too. We had fixed us and now leaving without knowing when we would see each other again was a little bittersweet. Before he walked out he walked back over, pressing a kiss to the top of my head, giving me the sweetest smile before walking out the front door. Walking through the house to the window I watched him get into the truck and head out of the driveway. Slowly but surely I was fixing the relationships in my life and I felt good about it. Now all I had to worry about was getting my title back. A noise jarred my from my thoughts and I frowned for a second before I realized it was my phone. Bounding across the room I tore through my purse, seeing Roman's name and the picture of us on the screen before I answered it.

"Ro, good timing. I'm good to go. Just need a doctors clearance and I'm back to work." I announced, not even giving him a chance to say hello.

"Good. Fly to Pensacola. I'm heading home and I'll meet you there." He ordered, sounding nervous.

"What's wrong?" I questioned, sinking onto one of the chairs.

"Nothing. You want to know what I've been hiding well this is me telling you. But I want to do it in person." He said softly, my nerves flaring to life.

"Okay Ro. I'll be there tonight." I promised.

"See you there." He said quickly, hanging up the phone.