Chapter 41. No Explainations

After dodging Mateo and his offer of breakfast we managed to snag a plate of food that Mama left for us, leaving Roman's lecherous cousin to fend for his own breakfast. After what had just happened my head couldn't stand the thought of being around him, and I wondered briefly, as we walked into Roman's room, when the pretending had slipped into something more real. Shutting the door behind us Dean dropped his bag onto the floor next to mine, flopping back onto the bed with a groan. Hearing it I felt the hairs on the back of my neck stand up on end.

"Are you going to share that food or just stand there?" Dean called out, looking up from his relaxed position.

"Oh, uh, yeah here." I managed to mumble, walking over and holding out the plate at an arms distance.

Sitting up he stripped off the leather jacket, sending it onto the floor next to the bed, as he took the plate of food. It was cold cuts, and cheese and other things but my appetite had seemingly vanished, my mind going a million miles an hour.

"Are you gonna eat or just stand there?" he questioned, leaning back against the headboard, his feet crossed as he balanced the plate on his lap.

"I'm gonna go get ready for bed. I feel like a mess." I muttered, crouching down and digging through my backpack, "I feel like I smell like a hospital."

"You don't." Dean commented casually, and I nearly fell on my ass, the simple statement reminding me that he had been definitely close enough to smell me.

Clearing my throat I walked into the bathroom with my bag of toiletries and shut the door behind me. Leaning against it I let out a breath, thankful for a little bit of space between us. Closing my eyes I rested my head against the door, wondering what in the hell just happened. Knowing I couldn't hide out in here forever I walked to the sink, washing my face and staring at myself in the mirror. I could see how tired I was but my face was flushed, whether from scrubbing it or what happened in the kitchen, I couldn't tell. Brushing my teeth I attempted to tame my hair, giving up when the frizz wouldn't go down. I contemplated a shower but decided against it, leaving it till morning. Pulling my hair into a low bun I changed quickly, the shorts and t-shirt not the sexiest of combinations but I shook my head, wondering why I even cared about that. Zipping the bag I walked out, seeing Dean still laying in the same position.

"I saved you some." He pointed out, getting to his feet.

"Thanks." I murmured, setting my bag on my backpack.

Dean had his own bag in his hand, heading into the washroom and I sat on the bed, still warm from the body heat. Picking up the plate my stomach rumbled the minute I got whiff of it. I ate quickly, still hungry but satisfied enough to wait till I woke up to eat. Rather then face Mateo again I set the plate on the side table, making a note to bring it downstairs later. Stretching out I groaned, my battered body thanking me for laying on a soft surface.

"That's one hell of a bruise." Dean grumbled, walking out of the bathroom quietly.

Rolling onto my side I looked down at my leg, seeing a bruise blossoming across my thigh. It wasn't the worst bruise I'd had but it wasn't little either. Stretching it out I felt a twinge of hurt before dropping it back onto the mattress.

"I'm not too worried about it. Looks worse then it feels." I yawned, scooting to one side, "You got a preference which side?"

"Not really." Dean shrugged, moving to shut the light off.

As soon as the light shut I was acutely aware of every move he made in the room. The soft sound of fabric rustling and the soft thump let me know he had taken off his shirt. As soon as I heard the belt buckle my eyes flew open, barely able to see his silhouette in the room. I wanted to say something but my mouth had suddenly dried completely, the only thing I could do was crawl under the covers. Laying quietly I felt the side of the bed dip and I cursed Roman's tiny double bed. I had no idea which way to lay so I laid straight as a board on my back, staring up at the ceiling. My body was calling, begging me for sleep but my mind was racing too much to even begin to fall asleep. Laying there I could feel the bed warm up, Dean's body chasing away any chill in the room.