Chapter 21. Fixing Mistakes

Stepping out onto the patio I let him shut the door behind us, no idea how I was going to start this. Turning I faced him, seeing the slight nerves in those gorgeous brown eyes and I sighed loudly.

"I know what you were trying to do and what you were saying in Tennesee." I began, tucking my arms under my chest, trying not to look defensive, "I know I have a reputation at work for being the bad ass, for never backing down and always sticking it to the Authority every chance I get but sometimes, even I get pushed a little too far."

"Lila..." Seth began but I held up a hand, making him stop.

"Just let me finish please. I understand what you were doing and I appreciate it. I didn't at the time because it was way too raw for me to deal with. That is the first time anything that humiliating has happened to me and I didn't know how to react and then you kept pushing at me and pushing at me. I snapped and I'm sorry." I finished, swallowing my pride for the sake of our relationship.

"NO Lila, I'm sorry. I don't know why I pushed so hard and bringing up your family on top of that. I have no idea what was going through my head. Look I don't want to control you, I don't want a puppet of a wife who listens and does anything I say. I chose you because you have a mind of your own and your free to use it. I just worry and I hate when things like that happen to you too, I just wanted the world to see how strong you were and that you can always bounce back harder." He groaned, walking up to me, wrapping his arms around my waist, "I love you and I hate feeling this distance between us. I just want us back to how we were before."

"I know, just stop with the family thing please. I hate it, so much." I asked, resting my hands on his arms, his muscles tensing under my touch.

"Can I say one more thing before we drop it completely?" he asked and I nodded, knowing where this was going already.

I could see him gathering his courage and I tensed slightly, waiting for it, "At some point in the future can we please talk about the family thing? I know how much you hate talking about it but I really think we can fix this, thing, between you and your mother." He pleaded, ignoring the tension radiating through my body.

"I gotta know, what is your obsession with trying to fix my family? It's been like this for so long Seth, what makes you think you can fix it now?" I questioned, keeping my tone light.

"Your family on the outside, is pretty near perfect. Amazing careers, great kids and a beautiful home. Don't you want your family to be as perfect inside as it is outside?" he asked, your heart rate picking up slightly.

"I gave up hope on having a perfect family a long time ago because I know it won't happen, ever. I've tried with her a thousand times and I will never be enough for her. I've stopped trying." I shrugged, Seth stepping back, letting his arms fall from around my waist.

"That's because you don't stay and fix it. Maybe after she cools off she wants to talk but you're already gone." He pointed out, making me frown.

"Why does it matter? You're marrying me, not my family." I crossed my arms over my chest.

"It matters because you could have a perfect family if you let yourself but you're not." He sighed, not arguing, just stating a fact.

"If you're looking for a perfect family Seth, I'm not it." I shook my head, averting my eyes from his, "I'm never gonna be the girl who brings you home for Christmas and is wrapped him hugs and sugar plums. I'm not the girl who calls home and asks for mom when I need advice. I've done things on my own, I've crawled and scrapped my way to the top, alone. Don't expect perfect from me because you will be highly disappointed. What you see is what you get with me Seth, and this is it. If it's not enough then you need to walk away."