Chapter 17. Galina

The silence in the house was deafening and I had heard that expression many times but it was the first time it had happened. You could have heard a pin drop as my eyes flickered between her and Roman, no words coming from my parted lips. There was a million things that wanted to come out but nothing out come, Roman looking more and more agitated as the seconds ticked on. The woman reached up, touching his chest lightly, making him look down at her.

"Go talk to her." She said softly, her voice musical even in a hushed whisper.

Moving away from her he walked up to me, holding out his hand and without thinking I put my hand in his, letting him lead me outside. Shutting the patio doors behind him he followed me out into the yard, as I stared out towards the ocean, seeing the tiny specks of white waves crashing against the sand. Raking my fingers though my hair I tried to speak, to make anything come out of my mouth but I had nothing.

"I'm sorry Lila, I wanted to tell you so many times but you always have so much on your plate. I didn't want to add any more." He began, making me turn towards him, a frown on my face.

"You think this would have been a burden to me? Who do you think I am Ro?" I asked, sounding slightly panicked.

"I just thought that having you know about this would be another thing you would be worried about. Like you said, we all have secrets and you were right. My secret wasn't worth tearing the team apart." He shook his head, throwing my own words back at me.

"I thought I was your best friend Ro." I said quietly, still staring out at the ocean.

"You are. You're the most important person..." he trailed off as I turned towards him.

"No I'm not. Not anymore. I'm not upset about that Roman, I'm really not. I'm upset that you didn't think I could handle this. Did you not think I would like her, or what were you thinking?" I asked, the hurt creeping in around the edges of my voice.

"NO I didn't think that. I just...I see the way things are with you and Dean. You and Seth barely talk as a couple and I know you were really close to breaking there for awhile. That's why I didn't tell you but now, you're better, stronger and I want to share this with you." He murmured, stepping closer, taking my hand in his, holding it tightly.

Pressing my lips together I blinked a few times, making the stinging stop for a moment, "I know, I'm not the best person in the world and I have secrets too. I just...I don't know how to feel." I admitted, wrapping my fingers around his.

"You're definitely allowed to be confused." He reassured me.

"You remember what you told me when I told you about Seth and I? I really, really get it now." I muttered, looking up at him, "How you said I would be Seth's girlfriend now and not just your best friend."

"She's not replacing you Lila. NO one can replace you. There is enough room in my heart for all three of you. I can promise you that." He stated firmly, taking me into his arms, hugging me tightly.

Closing my eyes I pressed my face into his chest, letting him attempt to hug all the insecurities out of me. It was a few moments before we pulled away, both of our eyes wet. Wiping gently under my eyes I looked up at Roman, seeing the change in him now that I understood what was going on. HE grew up, in such a subtle way that I hadn't even noticed it coming.

"Are you ready to meet her yet?" he asked, glancing over his shoulder at the house.

"Can I have a minute in the bathroom? Just to fix myself up so I don't scare her away." I laughed nervously, brushing my wild hair away from my face.