Cookie Love

I'm with Mal and Jay.

We are walking to Mal's locker

We are walking to Mal's locker. Some girls smile at Mal.

"Look, It's Mal."

"Hi, Mal!"

"Love my hair, Mal!"

"Are you feeling kind of weird about this? I mean, it's not so bad here, you know." Jay leans against his locker. I gasp.

"Are you insane? Long live evil! You're mean! You're awful! You're bad news! Snap out of it!" Mal snaps her fingers in Jay's face.

"Thanks, Mal. I needed that." Jay smiles. He looks at the girls. "I need more supporters." I kiss his cheek.

"I'll support you all the way." I smile. Jay pecks my lips.

"I love you." He walks over to the girls

"Oh no. I have cheer practise." I groan.

"I thought you liked cheer." Mal questions.

"No. Audrey has an appointment for her coronation dress, which should be designed by Evie since she's designing our dresses and the boys' suits, then we're doing a practise before the game." I sigh. "It's a good cheer number."

"Cool. I can't wait to see it." Mal smiles.

"And I will be cheering on Jay and Carlos. Us five are a team." I smile. Ben is finally alone. I nudge Mal and she shuts her locker.

"Hey, Bennyboo!" Mal impersonates Audrey.

"Hey." Ben smiles.

"I just made a batch of cookies. Double chocolate chip, do you want one?" Mal holds out the bag.

"They're really good and they're made with one hundred per cent good." I wriggle my shoulders up and down.

"Oh, I, uh, I've got a big game. I don't eat before a big game. But thank you so, so much. Thank you. Next time. Next time." He tells us nicely.

"No, yeah. I completely understand. Be careful of treats offered by kids of villains."

"Yeah, we live in a place full of rats and diseases. Who knows where we've been? They might be poisonous, according to peoples' minds."

"No, no, no." Ben says. We ignore him.

"No, I'm sure every kid in Auradon knows that." Mal looks at me.

"Even Chad knows that." I sigh.

"No, that's not it. No, no, no, I...I really do-"

I interrupt Ben. "I see. You think that we're helping you by spelling cookies to make you stronger."

"No, I get it. You're cautious. That's smart. Oh, well, more for me, I guess." Mal takes a cookie.

"No, no." Ben takes the cookie and eats it. "Hey... see that? Totally trust you. Totally." Me and Mal look at Evie and Carlos. They walk over to us. Jay joins us.

"How are they?" Mal asks him.

"They're good. They're great! They're amazing! They're, uh...I mean, they're chewy and, and you know, they...is that walnuts?" Ben asks. Mal nods. "I love walnuts. I mean, uh, you know, the...the chocolate...the... the chocolate...the chocolate chips are...I'm sorry. Um...uh, they're...they're warm and soft. And they're sweet...Mal, have you always had those little golden flecks in your eyes?" He's in love. Yes! Victory! Jay goes to Ben.

"How you feeling, bro?" He asks Ben.

"I feel...I feel...I feel like...like singing your name. Mal, Mal." Ben sings. We shut him up and push him away.

"Victory." I smile.

"Good job, guys." Carlos watches Jay wrap an arm around my waist.

"Mal did most of the persuasion." I slap her shoulder. "I should head to cheer. Bye, guys." I run to my dorm, grab my uniform, get change, and I run to the field. I see everyone there, except Audrey. My closest friend there, Ruby Fitzherbert, hugs me. We know a little bit about each other, but we're not good friends.

"Are you ready for the game?" Ruby asks me.

"Well, I'm about to cheer our team to victory while watching my friends dodge dragon fire and maybe get injured." I smile. "I was born ready."

"Good. Audrey isn't here so what should we do?" Ruby asks.

"Let's run over the routine." I make everyone get into position. We do it when Audrey walks up to us.

"Good job, everyone." Audrey claps. "You need to show more confidence, Shayla."

"I'll do it at the game. I want to show as much support as I can for Jay and Carlos." I smile.

"Well, get rid of this scar." Audrey pulls my scar arm in front of me.

"It's a scar so I can't." I roll my eyes.

"It isn't very attractive." She scoffs.

"My papa gave this to me for no purpose. Don't tell me it isn't attractive because I don't want another thing to point out when I think of my ugliness."

"With just a smudge of hideous." Audrey says out loud. The team laughs at me. "I mean, Mother Nature must really hate you." The team starts to insult me. Even Ruby.

"Don't you need a licence to be that ugly?"

"Every girl has the right to be ugly, but I'm afraid you've abused the privilege."

"I feel very sorry for you because you are so ugly, but I feel ever sorrier for myself because I have to look at you."

"You have a face only a mother could love-and she hates it!"

"Idiot, her mother died!"

"Her mother committed suicide because of her!" Ruby shouts. I look away with tears in my eyes. I see Jay and Carlos so I run to them.

"I hate this school." I cry.

"What's wrong, babe?" Carlos hugs me.

"I'll explain later." I wipe away the tears.

Jay also hugs me. "We'll see your amazing cheer later." Jay smiles.

"There's the new cheerleader." Coach Jenkins walks up to me.

"I've got myself a cheerleader, Coach." Jay kisses my hand.

"Nice." Coach slaps his shoulder. "Are you ready, Shay?" I really like Coach Jenkins. He's my favourite teacher.

"Ready as I'll ever be." I do some arm stretches. "And I'm sure Jay and Carlos will be fantastic."

"I hope so too." Coach walks away.

"I like Coach." The three of us say in unison.

"Do good, boys." I hug them. Carlos walks away and before Jay dies, we share a tender kiss. I walk back to the cheer team. People start filling up the bleachers. Mal, Evie and Lonnie wave to me so I wave back. I see our competition.

I look at Ruby. "Who are they?" I ask her.

"Sherwood Forest Falcons." Ruby walks away. Their watchers walk to the bleachers and the cheerleaders stand away from us. I look at them.

"We can beat them." I breathe out.