Tourney

The game begins. Jay and Carlos are sitting out. Us cheerleaders do flips, side ariels, all sorts in front of the bleachers.

"Ohay, ohay!" The students from my school shout.

"This is a nail-biter, folks. There's forty seven seconds left on the clock. We're all tied up. The Sherwood falcons, two. The fighting knights, two. What a game between Auradon's fiercest rivals." The announcer...announces. "The teams get into their huddles and take up positions along the kill zone. Akiho! The dragoneers have been laying down a withering hail of fire." I see Jay talk to the Coach with Carlos. When Jay and Carlos are out on the field, I cheer louder than ever.

"Go on, Carlos! Go on, babe!"

"He's bringing that hothead Jay in from the Isle of the Lost and that little guy Carlos can barely hold a shield." The announcers says as we start the cheer again for what seems like the hundredth time. We get into position and I put in one hundred and ninety nine per cent effort.

"Say your team name, say it loud! Fighting Knights! We're winning now! Yell out your team name! Fighting Knights will win!" It's such a crappy cheer.

"When they break from their huddles, this is gonna be a big moment here. And the tipoff is ready. Here we go. Long pass goes to Jay. Jay dishes off to prince Ben. Nice little block by Carlos. He does a little dancing jig in his opponent's face. And now Jay gets the ball back. Here comes Jay! Jay, hurdling maneuver at mid-field." The announcer is making me nervous somehow. I keep on walking forward, taking tiny steps. I get stopped by the mascot.

"Don't worry. It's Jane." Jane says.

"Ok." I look back at the game. I decide to switch up the cheer. "B-I-T and E! What does that spell? Bite, bite, bite! Speak no words will cause a fright, what's a bark without a bite!" I do it again.

Mal and Evie join in. I can tell. "B-I-T and E! What does that spell? Bite, bite, bite! Speak no words will cause a fright, what's a bark without a bite!"

The cheer team joins in. "B-I-T and E! What does that spell? Bite, bite, bite! Speak no words will cause a fright, what's a bark without a bite!" I watch the game.

"Twenty three seconds left. You could cut the tension with a sword. The long ball is played into Jay. Jay, great jump, great leap. And a great move by Jay. Big block from Chad. Jay dishes off to Prince Ben. And then Carlos with a big block, goes down. Jay through the kill zone, picks up Carlos. Oh, he's being hammered by dragon fire. Still, going on. Jay, hurdling maneuver at mid-field. He's in the clear. The ball goes back to Jay." Ben, Jay and Carlos do small talk. "He passes to prince Ben. He scores! Prince Ben has won it! What an unselfish play by Jay! What a team! Incredible! And it's the new guys, Jay and Carlos, who set up the prince for the win here." I start to cheer for them. My 'brothers' are winners! That's unbelievable. I'm so happy for them. The cheerleaders push past me to the Tourney team so I join them. I give Jay and Carlos hugs, but Ben ruins the moment.

"Excuse me. Excuse me. Can I have your attention, please? There's something I'd like to say." Everyone looks at Ben. The field is silent. The cheerleaders move behind the team, but I stay with my friend and boyfriend. I don't care what they say. "Give me an "M!" I chuckle.

"M!" We all shout.

"Give me an "A!"

"A!"

"Give me an "L!"

"L!"

"What does that spell?"

"Mal!" Audrey looks heartbroken.

"Come on, I can't hear you!"

"Mal!"

"I love you, Mal! Did I mention that? Give me a beat! Whoo!"