Jazz Swing Part Two

Marie finishes the song. We all applaud her.

"This place is alley cat awesome!" Carlos smiles.

"This guy knows where it's at." Abe high-fives his dad.

"What is he talking about, Shay?" Jay asks me quietly.

"Where the rhythm is, the best of its home." I smile. "For example, my beat is the Jungle Rhythm."

"How do we find our rhythm?" Evie asks eagerly.

"You have to be a type of cat." I look at my feet. "Sorry, guys."

"Don't make that face." Jay tells me. "Show me the face of the girl I fell in love with." I look into his brown eyes. "There's my girl."

"Mr O'Malley, do we really need to be cats to find our rhythm?" Carlos asks.

"Not exactly. Everyone has their own spirit animal and with that animal holds your rhythm. It's just...everybody wants to be a cat because we can find the rhythm easier. I mean, look at Simba or Nala or Scar or Zira or Kovu or even us alley cats." Thomas motions to Scat Cat. He starts leading the band into the cat's national anthem while Abe starts to sing it.

"Everybody wants to be a cat because a cat's the only cat who knows where it's at."

Thomas walks up to him. "Tell me. Everybody's pickin' up on that feline beat 'cause everything else is obsolete."

"Strictly high-button shoes!" Abe smiles.

Thomas starts dancing with Abe. "A square with a horn makes you wish you weren't born."

"Ever'time he plays."

"But with a square in the act, you can set music back."

"To the cave man days. Cha-cha-ba-dum-bo-day."

"I've heard some corny birds who tried to sing."

"Still a cat's the only cat who knows how to swing." Abe twirls me. I giggle.

"Who wants to dig a long-haired gig and stuff like that?" Billy Boss winks at me.

"When everybody wants to be a cat." Thomas and Abe  start walking side ways with one foot in front of the other and then behind. Me and papa join them. "A square with a horn makes you wish you weren't born ever'time he plays." I see my friends copying us so I join them for help.

"Oh, a-rinky-tinky-tinky." Thomas smiles at me. My friends have got the hang of it.

"With a square in the act, you can set music back to the cave man days." Thomas and Abe point at me.

"Oh, a-rinky-tinky-tinky." I giggle.

"Yes." Thomas laughs.

"Everybody wants to be a cat because a cat's the only cat who knows where it's at. While playin' jazz you always has a welcome mat 'cause everybody digs a swingin' cat." Thomas and I applaud my friends. The music changes and everyone starts dancing. Jay walks up to me and bows. I curtsy and we start dancing. Duchess pulls out a harp.

"If you want to turn me on." What? "Play your horn, don't spare the tone and blow a little soul into the tune." Duchess looks at Jay and Carlos.

"Let's take it to another key." Thomas hugs her from behind.

"Modulate, and wait for me. I'll take a few ad-libs and pretty soon." Scat Cat hugs his trumpet.

"The other cats will all commence, congregatin' on the fence beneath the alley's only light." Thomas kisses Duchess's cheek.

"Where every note is out of sight." Duchess puts the harp away. The alley cats start playing again.

"Everybody, everybody, everybody wants to be a cat!"

"Hallelujah!" Scat Cat winks at me.

"Everybody, everybody, everybody wants to be a cat!"

"I'm telling you!"

"Everybody, everybody, everybody wants to be a cat!"

"Yeah!"

"Everybody, everybody, everybody wants to be a cat!"

"Mmm!"

"Everybody, everybody, everybody wants to be a cat!"

"Hallelujah!"

"Everybody, everybody, everybody wants to be a cat!" The band bows and we all applaud.

"Shay, we should head home." Mal yawns.

"Good idea." I hold hands with Jay. "Thank you, Mr O'Malley. Bye, Abe!" And we walk out of the house.

"I really like the club." Evie squeals.

"I like the band." Carlos laughs.

"Isn't Scat Cat amazing?" I squeeze Jay's hand.

"Everyone was incredible, Stripes." Mal punches me lightly. Papa purrs.

"I know!" I jump up and down with joy.

"Calm down before you explode." Carlos laughs.

"I can't!" I shout.

"Shay!" My friends shout. I calm down a bit. We arrive at Auradon Prep.

"I'll walk you to your room, sweetheart." Jay walks me to my room. "Are you okay?"

"I'm fine now. I'm not as hyper as I was on the way home." I say as I open my door. Papa rums onto the spare bed. "Thanks for walking me to my room."

"Anytime, sugar." Jay smiles. We starts to lean in and we kiss. I pull him into my room and I shut the door. I push him onto my bed and I climb on top of him to capture our lips again.