Chapter Four - Hunger and Tension

I've been back at Hunters for around 30 minutes, I've changed into my PJ's and called Latoyah.
I tried ringing Jace but no reply as per usual.

I've been looking around trying my hardest not to get lost, the place is huge.
There's no sign of Mom or Hunter anywhere. What the hell?

I make my way outside I noticed earlier a beautiful extra extension on the house, with full view of the pool.

It's beautiful out here. Peaceful.
I can't get him off my mind no matter how hard I try.
I can't wait to see him tomorrow ...

"Rylee?"
Oh, that voice. It makes the hairs stand up on the back of my neck and I don't understand why.
The huskiness he carries within his voice is hot yet intimidating.

"Hey, where is she?"

He takes a deep breath.

"She's gone into rehab."
Hands in his trouser pockets, he couldn't have said it anymore casual.

"What? Rehab??"
Confusion wipes over my face I know she needs it, shit she needs it so bad. But how the hell has he got her to agree?!
My Dad tried after he left but she refused. We tried. She didn't care to even so much as listen.
Vanessa, Logan's mum tried she would listen to her. She filled Nessa's head with false promises and never kept them - story of my life with her. False promises.

"She needs it she can't treat you the way she's treating you anymore"

He did this for me?

"How did you make her listen?..."
My voice barely a whisper.

Ignoring my question he walks closer to me places his hand on my shoulder lightly as if he's scared of breaking me.
"Has she always been like this? I don't know how I've been living with her and not known who she really is.."

I never thought about that, how he'd be feeling.
If he wants the truth I'll give it him.

"No. She was amazing before my Dad left."
And she was she was the best Mum ever. She loved us unconditionally then when he left she switched. Just like that. She was replaced and she's never been the same again.

"What happened?"

I look him in the eyes, tilt my head to the side as if to question his question.

"What happened, why did you run away?"

My eyes are stinging as tears are slowly hitting the back of my eyes.
Why?
Why now?
I haven't cried once this whole year as much as I wanted to - I haven't. I don't cry. Infact I haven't cried since B.. story for another time. Just know that I've been numb for a number of years now and my eyes stay dry. Until now.

"Please, I don't want to talk about it right now.."

They start.
They won't stop.
They flow so hard I can't even take a breather.
I'm crying.
I feel his huge arms wrapped around me, he calms me almost straight away.
His touch. His smell. The way his one hand is stroking the top of my head makes me muzzle into his chest even further.
I've never felt so safe, not even with Logan. Not like this. 
My sobs turn to sniffles but he still doesn't let me go. Maybe he needs this as much as I do? I return the embrace and wrap my arms around the back of him as far as I can reach anyway past his muscle, each arm going under his coat and around his back and as I do so he squeezes me that little bit tighter.

He pulls away slowly so I do the same. He looks down at me and his eyes meet mine. Those eyes a bright shade of amber. When I first saw him those eyes were dark, empty.
But now? How am I only just realising how beautiful they are?