1.

May 25, 2013

8:04am

"Donuts!" I announced and walked into the squad room, donuts in hand.

"And she saves the day," Evan, my partner, said and came up to grab them from my hand. "I skipped breakfast so now I'm starving."

"Don't ever skip breakfast Evan; it's the most important meal of the day," Laney said and grabbed her a glazed one from the box.

"Stop being such a mom Laney," he replied and sunk his teeth into a jelly-filled one with icing and sprinkles.

"Farrah, Evan, we got a hit on Vincenzo Gomez. He's at 86 and Weston," Cap called while standing in the frame of his doorway. I put back on the jacket that I almost had off and Evan gets up putting on his.

"You drive today," he tossed me the keys, "I'm tired."

"Not too tired to stuff down that donut though," I mumbled and he licked his fingers.

----

"I haven't been over here in years," I sighed as I looked around.

"Why?" Evan looked over at me and I shook my head.

"My brother used to live over here."

"Farrah, it's been five years, you need to find some sort of peace with his death. You can't just avoid the places he went and where he lived for the rest of his life."

"Oh really?" I raised my eyebrows and looked over at him, "watch me."

"Farrah--" he started to say until I cut him off by shushing him when I saw Vinny walking out of the corner store. "Why did you cut me off?"

"There goes Vinny," I took off my seatbelt and jumped out of the car, quickly running across the street. "Gomez!" I yelled for Vinny, but when he turned around and saw me he took off on foot.

"You're really going to make us run today Vincenzo?!" Evan yelled behind me as we begin to chase him on foot; through the parks, over fences, until the dumb ass finally fell straight on his face.

"You just love giving me a work out, don't you Vinny?" I asked and bent down to grab him. "Get up," I pulled him up and he tried to snatch from me, but I yanked him back. Evan finally caught up with us, but a little out of breath.

"That donut caught up with you didn't it?" I mumbled and Evan side-eyed me.

"Vinny, just tell us what you know."

"I told y'all what I knew last week. This harassment bruh! My lawyer said y'all can't do this shit!"

"We can if you're still dealing," Evan reaches in Vinny's pockets pulling out prescription bottles full of pills. "You don't look like a Rachel Bevin's to me Vincenzo."

"That's my grandmother; I was takin 'em to her!"

"Yeah right... let's take a little ride down to the precinct."

"Okay, okay, look this guy his names Nick! He be a couple blocks down at that burger joint. He gives it to me and I sell. I swear," Vinny held up his hands in terror.

"I'll check out the burger joint, you take him back to the precinct."

Vinny groans and I swear he's near tears.

"Be careful," Evan looked at me and I nodded my head.

---

I walked the few blocks down to Burger Master. Guys were posted up on their cars with girls all around.

"I hope that all these girls are of age," I announced before flashing my badge and they all began to scatter like wild pigs. I grabbed one boy by their collared shirt and pulled him back. "I'm looking for a guy named Nick, where is he?"

"Look man I ain't no snitch," the boy said and shook his head.

"Become one before I take you in... I have more important things to do than doc you for whatever you have on you. I just need to put a face with a name. Where is Nick?"

"Man I dunno. I don't work for 'em. You might wanna talk to Mike. He gon know more than I do."

"And where can I find this Mike?"

"He inside... sittin' in the back." I released the boy and walked up to the door as he scattered off.

I walked inside and did a quick look around the restaurant before noticing the man sitting in the back by himself. He was eating his food and into something on his phone. I walked over to him and he never once looked up.

"I don't do shit wit prostitutes, hookers or strippers."

I placed my badge on the table right next to his plate. "Do I have your attention now?"

I saw the sides of his mouth creep up into a smile and then he looked up revealing his brown eyes.

"Can I ask you a couple of questions?"

"Am I under arrest?"

I raised my eyebrow, but shook my head.

"Then no," he stood up and tucked his phone in his pocket, but not before he took out his wallet and placed a twenty on the table. He took one more glance at me before leaving out the side door of the restaurant.