4.

May 29, 2013

Farrah POV

I was sleeping soundly until my phone vibrated underneath me. I rolled over and grabbed it, pressing it to my ear. "Banks...." Damn. "...okay I'm on my way." I hung up the phone, took a quick shower and headed out the door.

These were the times where I questioned why I became a homicide detective.

"What do we got?" I asked when I arrived at the crime scene.

"Black female, early twenties, gunshot wound to the head, gash to the right side of her body. Neighbor from down the hall found her," Evan gestured to the man sitting on the stool in the kitchen. "The door was wide open. No ID or anything identifying her."

Nodding my head, I slipped on my gloves before bending down to get a closer look at the body. "She has defensive wounds."

"Yeah, she tried fighting off her attacker," Evan sighed as he too bent down to get a closer look.

"Yeah," I mumbled, "just not hard enough. What's your theory?"

"Well dispatch had got a call not too long ago from a neighbor complaining that there was loud shouting between a man and a woman coming from this apartment. So, abusive boyfriend gets angry this time goes a little too far and kills her so he runs."

"So typical," I chuckled, "the officers who answered, are they here?" I looked up and Evan nodded his head and pointed to the uniform over in the corner of the room.

Poor guy looked like he was about to puke.

"I'll talk to him..." I stood up and made my way over to the guy. "What's your name?"

"Officer Marzetti. I just came by here... she said everything was fine." He mumbled and I nod my head.

"It's not your fault. You did what you were supposed to, but I am going to need your statement." He eagerly nodded his head.

"Anything to help."

"Mila's here," I turned around to see Mila, the M.E., walk into the living room area.

"Every day you look like you're going to be on a runway," I laughed and walked over to her.

"You never know who you'll meet..."

"First of all its five-thirty in the morning, second of all I'm not sure I wouldn't want to meet my soul mate at a crime scene."

"You have your fantasies and I have mine," she chuckled before bending down to check the body. She lifted up the shirt and I narrowed my eyes.

"What's that line?"

"It's a scar... from a C-section," Mila looked up at Evan and I. "Where's the baby?"

"There isn't a baby," Evan shook his head, "nothing that indicates that a baby even lived here."

"How fresh is that scar?" I asked and took off my gloves.

"I hate to guess, but I'd say about five weeks... six..."

"You're kidding me and there's no sign of the baby?" I looked over at Evan and he shook his head.

"No. We didn't find anything, we didn't even find any identification for her. The tenant who found her has never seen her and uniforms went to talk to the neighbor who called dispatch but she said she didn't know anyone had moved into this apartment.... No one knows who she is."

I scoffed and ran my hands over my face. "Great so we have a jane doe and a missing baby. Alright," I sighed and put my gloves in my pocket, "get her face out there... somebody has to know who she is and that she had a baby."